Author Topic: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire  (Read 11878 times)

Offline akaha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 October 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I'm researching the same family and have a ton of information on them. 

I actually just ordered the birth record yesterday that has Robert/James b. 1751 in Dalry.   The birth record actually says "Robert Speir you (younger?), weaver in Kirktown had a lawful son called Robert James born Nov 23rd and baptized on the 24th 1751.  The name Robert is struck out. 

This must be the son of the weaver Robert Speir and Marion Kirkwood of Kirktown, Dalry.  He was also the son of a Robert and later had another son James born in 1753 and a son Robert born in 1759.  So this James most likely died before 1753.  (see attached).

I have a huge family tree for the Speir of Beith and am trying to figure out if or how they connect to the Speir of Dalry.  I do know that in the 1691 Hearthtax list there was both a John and Robert in Dalry.  However, parish records for Dalry don't seem to go back to that period and I suspect they were baptised in Beith.

Moderator comment - imaged cropped , copyright.

Offline warrob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 September 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
hi I just got in Dalry a Georgian portrait of "Speir author of "Coming through the Rye" a descendant of Speir of Camphill, Dalry it depicts him holding a pen any info on him I would think portrait dates 1770 -1850 period, many thanks robert

Offline Shehar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 April 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this site and I am descended from the Speirs of North Camphill, Dalry. I have a copy of the James Speir letter from 1741. I note that someone has the original which was discovered in Canada after a Jock Speir died in 1999. I would like to be in touch with d day as we must be related. I have just revised my history of the Speirs of Camphill.  There are one or two inaccuracies in some of the previous correspondence.
Hope to be in touch with other Speir researchers.
Shehar

Offline Shehar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi cecharlton.
I am also descended from this family from North Camphill, Dalry. I am very interested to hear that you have the original of James  Speir's sad letter written in 1741. I assume you must be descended from the line that went to Canada. I have very little information on this line. Some of my information came from Ena and Annette Arrol, in Glasgow, who died a few months ago. I believe they visited their Canadian relations c 1960. My copy of James Speir's letter came from them- my 2nd cousins twice removed. It would be great to be in touch.
Shehar.

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I hope this thread isn’t too old to post in and get a response. I’m a brand-new user and stumbled across this thread in a web search. I am hoping to discover whether my family connects to the Robert Speirs discussed here.

I recently broke through a brick wall in discovering the father of my 2GGM Mary Donald of Dalry. He was Robert Donald, farmer of Broomhill, Kilwinning. Mary Donald was born July 4, 1856. Robert Donald, my 3GGF, died April 4, 1857. His parents are listed as William Donald and Ann Craig. Their marriage record lists William as being from Saltcoats, and Ann from Dalry, married August 5, 1808.

William Donald, my 4GGF, died January 5, 1858. His parents are listed as William Donald and Mary Speir.

William Donald, my 5GGF, of Ardrossan and Mary Speir of Dalry married December 8, 1777.

I have not found a death record for Mary Speir, so my next connection is partly a guess, but I find a birth record from Dalry for a Mary Speir born 19 and baptized the 20 of March, 1757, father Robert Speir You’r.

I am hoping someone can tell me whether this lineage connects to the lineage discussed above. Any errors in my connections also gratefully accepted.

Thank you!

Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown
Dad’s side: Farace, Ferraro, Ferrara, Bonito