Author Topic: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire  (Read 11987 times)

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Speir of Dalry, Ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cec. I have James (I think his birth record is "James or Robert" but it pretty much has to be him), Rebecca, Jean, Mary and Robert. I don't have Hugh, the 2 Marthas or William, could you possibly give me the dates for them? Do you have an online tree where I could get details of the descent from Hugh? If not, if it's not too much hassle could you possibly e-mail more info on descendants of Robert and Marion and in return I will happily send you my info? My e-mail is (*).

I did realise there was probably at least one other brother as the inventory of James (m Mgt Easdale) estate at his death refers to Robert Spier younger of Camphill being his eldest brother. In the inventory there is also refernence to rent being due to him at the time of his death by William S (maybe the youngest brother) and John S (don't know who he was).

Re where did they come from, was it Dalry to Glasgow or Glasgow to Dalry, I suspect they were in the Dalry areain the late 18th century. There is a record of farm horse tax for a James Spier of Camphill in 1797/98. Possibly the father of Robert m Marion Kirkwood and James the Glasgow merchant? The merchant may have been a linen merchant, in the early 19th century the weaving industry in Dalry took off and many local people were producing linen for merchants in Glasgow so maybe James went to Glasgow to tale advantage of that?

Although not directly relevant to you, their is a sad story online in an obit from the Wigtownshire Advertiser concerning Jean, daughter of James S & Janet Archibald who were my GGG Grandparents. She died in June 1845. She took ill of scarlet fever on the Saturday, banns for her marriage were called in the church on the Sunday, she died on the Monday and was buried on Friday 13th, the day she was due to be married.

Spier has been used in my family as a middle name since the children of my GG Grandparents Agnes Spier & Hugh Robertson who were both grandchildren of James & Margaret Easdale. My G Grandfather had no S at the end but we have always had the I before the E. My grandfather, father, brother and nephew are all James Spiers Robertson.

Lastly, do you have any info on the Rebecca S who m John Howie? I have her in as the daughter of James & Margaret Easdale but I don't think that can be right as the age at death is way out.

Best regards,

Susan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dhday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 June 11 03:17 BST (UK) »
I am new to this website and not computer savvy. I'm researching Robert Speir and Jean Brown. We are having a family reunion in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to get this put together to give to the "elders". Where have you found your information? Are you willing to share info?
dday

Offline dhday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:00 BST (UK) »
Not sure I'm doing this right. Not computer savvy. Robert Speir and Jean Brown is my family. Trying to get info together for family reunion in 2 weeks. Are you willing to share info? Thanks
dhday

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 June 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi dhday, my info has taken 5 or 6 years so far to put together and is by no means anything like complete/finished with many questions still to be answered but if you let me know your e-mail I will send you what I have on the descendants for Robert and Jean.

Offline dhday

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 July 11 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi susandun,
Anything that you are willing to share would be wonderful! A family member started this many years ago and has since passed away. I have names and years but not actual dates. I am curious as to occupations. He has gone back to Robert and Jean. John Speir(1860-1931) and Isabella Erskine (1863-1950) are my husbands ggrandparents. Where do you fit in the tree? Do you want info for William (1888-1958) and Marguerite Moore (1890-1981)? My e-mail address is (*). Where do you live? I'm in Canada.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mark Wheelan-Lamon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 January 12 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Found your listing while researching Thomsons.
Rebecca Thomson, wife of James Speir, was the daughter of George Thomson & Helen Wales of Glasgow.
Her brother Andrew Thomson is my 5G-grandfather.
I am interested in finding out anything I can about this couple.
Thanks
Mark

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 January 12 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Mark, it is good to hear from you.  My main interest is in Robert Speir, brother of James Speir who married Rebecca Thomson.  Rebecca's brother, Andrew, was an executor named in James' will and also a witness for the births of some of James' children.  Although the Thomson line is not really relevant to me I did pursue it in the hope that I might find something of relevance for Robert.  The information I do have for the Thomsons can be found in:      'Some Old Families:  A Contribution to Genealogical History of Scotland',  page 137, by Hardy Bertram McCall. Published in Birmingham, 1890 by Watson & Ball.  The information it contains should allow you to delve a little deeper into the official documents and records pertaining to the Thomsons.   
I hope this helps
regards, Cec

Offline mark Wheelan-Lamon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 January 12 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cec.
Had the info on Hardy McCall's book. Would be interesting to find out more about this family.
Best of luck with your ongoing research
Mark

Offline akaha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 October 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a James Speir b. ca 1790.  He was SOMEHOW related to Robert SPIER of the Spier School in Beith, but unlike Robert he appears to have been a rather poor weaver.   (He appears as a debtor in Robert's will in 1850.  So he's not likely a brother.  But members of our family apparently went to Scotland to challenge Robert's will).  James had some kind of ties to Newton, Ayr, but was of Beith Parish when married in 1812.  He later lived in Dalry.  I do know that the PATRICK name is mentioned throughout the SPIER school documents.   I see two PATRICK marriages in your Dalry family, they were weavers, the names James and Robert are prevalent,  and the location is compatible as well as Robert's family homestead was also in Dalry (Kersland Mill).    I have been unable to locate an OPR for James, but I keep coming back to your family as a likely match. 
I have a ton of information on the early families in Beith and Dalry, but afraid I also can't figure out the exact connection of your Robert.  I know in the Hearth Tax records of 1691 there was a John and Robert Speir listed in Dalry.  So perhaps Robert is yours!
If anyone has information on my family, PLEASE reply!