Author Topic: seahorse crest  (Read 9234 times)

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: seahorse crest
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 February 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I can't workout what the crest (which sits on top of the shield) actually represents from your pictures.  The supporters of the shield are probably sea horses but these are rarely of much help in identifying a coat of arms.  The most important feature is usually the shield followed by the crest both of which are not clear enough to help.

The presence of supporters in a coat of arms originally meant that it probably belonged to high ranked peerage or royalty, although in recent years companies and places have also used them in their arms.

My guess is that it is the arms of a company or town probably located on the coast

The supporters do not look to me so much like sea-horses as they do the typical heraldic dolphin.  (Which look nothing like the real-life dolphin!)

David

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
The heads of the supporters are much more like a heraldic seahorse which usually has the head of a lion when used as a supporter while the heraldic dolphin usually has a long beak.  However there are sufficient variations from the norm that I would accept either.

When appearing couchant (laying down) on a shield or as a crest the heraldic seahorse usually has the front half of a horse

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The heads of the supporters are much more like a heraldic seahorse which usually has the head of a lion when used as a supporter while the heraldic dolphin usually has a long beak.  However there are sufficient variations from the norm that I would accept either.

When appearing couchant (laying down) on a shield or as a crest the heraldic seahorse usually has the front half of a horse.

I have never seen an heraldic sea-horse with the head of a lion, even when used as as supporter; I have seen a few heraldic sea-lions with such.  However, in both cases the forelegs are those of a horse or lion (though with webbed feet); the supporters here pretty clearly have fins rather than forelegs, hence my identification of them as heraldic dolphins.

David