Author Topic: Is De Guernsey a surname?  (Read 3569 times)

Offline amazon510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is De Guernsey a surname?
« on: Monday 27 December 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
HI,

I saw a reference to the surname De Guernsey in Marion Turk's "The Quiet Adventurers in Canada", but I can't seem to find any references to it anywhere else.  Does anyone know if De Guernsey is really a Channel Island surname, and if so is it more common in Jersey or Guernsey?

Thanks,

Jennifer.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Is De Guernsey a surname?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 December 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
It is entirely possible that de Guernsey is a surname but the one place that you are least likely to find it is in Guernsey.  Many names in the fourteenth century and earlier were of the format de "somewhere" (meaning from "somewhere").  Some of these later became established as surnames sometimes in the original form.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I am a guernsey person..and never heard of de Guernsey....yet there are de Jersey's  in the Channel Islands.
I did see a  person named Guillaume de Guernesy (that would be William of Guernsey)from the crew list sailing with Cartier to ?Canada...

Offline JdB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
HI,

I saw a reference to the surname De Guernsey in Marion Turk's "The Quiet Adventurers in Canada", but I can't seem to find any references to it anywhere else.  Does anyone know if De Guernsey is really a Channel Island surname, and if so is it more common in Jersey or Guernsey?

Thanks,

Jennifer.

Good questions and something I have wondered many thimesespecially with the prevalence of De Jersey. Keen to hear any other references to De Guernsey out there.