Author Topic: Tipton Photos  (Read 11119 times)

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
  • Tipton born,Tipton bred.....
    • View Profile
Re: Tipton Photos
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:41 GMT (UK) »
 :)  I'm also thinking if it was Great Bridge,could it have been the West Bromwich side of Great Bridge,and the pub is actually classed as West Brom,even though it's actually Great Bridge... :-\
Paternal side:
Pickerill,Jenkins,Randle,Wile,Doran,Southwick..

Maternal side:Danks,Smith,Leech,Jarvis,Hunt,Wain...

Areas~Tipton,Wednesbury,Dudley,West Bromwich.....THE BLACK COUNTRY!!!!

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Ha! Breakthrough...and I can't believe I didn't realise!!I have just asked my Dad if there was one in Great Bridge and he very confidently said "yes,right next to where your Nan was born and lived!"

I can't believe I forgot! I am sure it was called the Wagon and Horses Inn,it was the side of Midland Terrace,it was on the West Bromwich side of Great Bridge and is now newish buildings and a car park.....and I am certain I have a photo of it...again,bear with me!!

bagpuss  :)
Paternal side:

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 January 11 12:59 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Crystal,

I am just about to get the scanner out, the picture is from about 1935.

I have also found out that there was a Market Street in Great Bridge,it was formerly known as Limerick Passage,but so far no photos of a butchers,although I can find a photo of Limerick Passage from around 1905,and a few of Market Street from the 70s  :)

bagpuss
Paternal side:

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hope this is okay,it was too large to begin with!
Paternal side:

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 January 11 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bagpuss

Wow, what a find  ;D  I've spoken to dad and described your picture and he says it sounds like the correct one.  It was a Butler's house, had an archway to some large stables/buildings round the back and had that piece at the front that came out onto the pavement and was adjoined by other buildings.  I was unsure of the other photo as it did not have these features but of course the building could have been altered over the years.  When you said it is now newish buildings, I assume it has now been demolished which is a shame.  Many thanks for tracking the photo down I really appreciate your hard work, its nice to see where they lived all of those years ago and I can't wait to show dad.

Regarding the butchers shop - I am sure it was Market Street Tipton, I don't recall a Limerick Passage but that doesn't mean its not correct.  I remember finding a reference to the butchers shop in Kelly's Directory a couple of years ago but I can't find it in my filing system  ::)  will keep looking its bound to turn up.  This bit can get a bit confusing - grandad Cyril's birth name was Moreton, however, his father died when they were living in Hemsworth and the four children were very young.  Great grandmother Sarah (nee Mills born Groveland Tipton) obviously could not cope and the children were brought up by different family members.  Grandad came back to Tipton to Stephen and Sarah Evans (not yet found the family connection) and he took their surname up until he married and then reverted to his birth name of Moreton.  So the butchers shop will be in the name of Stephen Evans.  Stephen was a butcher for many years and I think later had more than one shop and dad seems to remember he diversified to the wholesale side of it later.  I know grandad took over the shop in Tipton for a short while before he moved to the Wagon and Horses.  Stephen must have been successful as they had a large house, Eastwood at Hagley later on - have photo of it.  Just for interest I have attached a photo of grandad with Stephen Evans and the butchers horse and cart  :)

A very grateful Crystal  :)

Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 January 11 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Bagpuss,

Glad to see you've found pictures of the right Waggon and Horses for Crystal.

I appear to have confused myself a bit, should have paid more attention to the address of the co-op Waggon and Horses ie Dudley Road West, not just Dudley Road (which is in Tipton) which is where the one in the link I gave is and the one that I was interested in. What with the one in Toll End Road as well.  :-\

I am easily confused  :)

Simon

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 January 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon

I agree, I don't know the area and it is very confusing - I've never known so many pubs with the same name in the same area but all sorted now, thanks for your help anyway.

Crystal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 January 11 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,
I am also easily confused,I think its been made easier as I am a Tipton wench!!

You know I think its terrible that all these establishments have disappeared,it's so sad :(  Dad reckons on it may have been demolished in the early 70s.

My Dad said they used to hold boxing bouts in the yard of the Wagon & Horses,my Grandad was a boxer and fought there a few times,I wonder if that how he met my Nan as she was born and raised right next to it :-\

Crystal,thanks for sharing the photo,I love stuff like that and it is,for me,local history.It's a wonderful picture.
I have found a few more pictures of Market Street,now my Dad has a feeling that what was Banners record shop used to be a butchers shop,but he is not 100%...I think I may have seen a photo of the record shop just before it was demolished.Market Street was around when I was a kid,I always remember the wool shop,but it was all demolished to make way for the Black Country Route...how things change....

bagpuss :)
Paternal side:

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 January 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crystal

in the 1901 census at 25 market place although it comes under Tipton on the census i have always thought of it as Great Bridge
Stephen J Evans 29 butcher born Tipton
Sarah A Evans 28 Tipton
Cyril Moreton 3 Kingsley Yorkshire

also the photo of you grandad looks like it was taken in Farley Park with St Peter's in the back ground

Donna
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk