Author Topic: JOHN GIBBONS MATHEWS Sergeant of Lancers in DUBLIN 1845  (Read 7750 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN GIBBONS MATHEWS Sergeant of Lancers in DUBLIN 1845
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 June 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
Many months further on, and I am so grateful and thankful for your assistance. I knew I had this thread somewhere, but couldn't find it!  Very sorry about the late reply.

I contacted the Nottingham University, had an email back from there telling me they did not hold the records for the 1Oth Royal Lancers.

They replied and referred me to the Derby Museum, where Archives are held for the 9th/12th Lancers.  I then emailed Derby with his details to see if they had anything there.

To My Great Joy!  Got the reply below!
Y
The first sentence itself was great!  Told me I was on the right track, and now had a Number!
And the rest was even better!

John Gibbons Mathews - Military details.

Dear Jeanne

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the service of your great great grandfather 674 Troop Sergeant J G Matthews, 12th Royal Lancers.

The 9th/12th Royal Lancers Museum does not hold the service papers of soldiers who served in the Army. The records of soldiers who served before 1920 are held at TheNational Archive, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU, and the service papers of soldiers who served after 1920 are held at the Army Personnel Centre, Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 400, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX. However, the 9th/12th Lancers Museum holds an extensive but incomplete collection of regimental archives, including nominal rolls, medal rolls, marriage registers and diaries some of which give information on the service of individual soldiers.

According to the 12th Lancers Services of NCOs and Men 1809-1865, John Gibbons Matthews enlisted into the 12th Lancers on 7 October 1840 at Dublin. He was born at a place called Moate in West Meath (Ireland). He was 21 years and 2 months on enlistment and was 5 foot 10 and a half inches. He is described as having a fresh complexion, grey eyes, and dark brown hair. His trade on enlistment is given as `clerk’.

John served with A Troop and was a capable soldier who was quickly promoted; he was made corporal on 5 August 1842; promoted to troop-sergeant on 1 October 1844; and he married on 9 July 1845. He was discharged on payment of £20 on 9 March 1848. His character on discharge was recorded as `very good’. Please note that in this archive he is recorded as `Jonathan G Matthews’ and not John Gibbons Mathews.

His marriage and the birth of his two children while serving with the Regiment are also recorded in the 12th  Lancers register of marriages and baptisms 1815-1880. He married Mary Jane Flemming, who was a spinster at St Mary’s in Donnybrook, Dublin on 9 July 1845. The date of the birth of their son, Henry Maxwell David Matthews is given as 4 November 1846 and his baptism took place at Hounslow on 7 January 1848. Their daughter Mary Grace’s baptism is recorded as occurring on 18 May 1848 at Hounslow.

So, you can imagine how pleased I am with this!  The marriage details and Chn born in Hounslow details are what I have, and - the Henry Maxwell David Matthews mentioned at the end is my great grandfather, he is the man in my profile photo! 

And Shaun, thank you also for your info about John's Death at Sea!  From my Scavenger Hunt on here recently, with those details,  another wonderful Rootschatter found the actual death for me from the Register of Marine Deaths!  That hunt initially was to find his mother, Sarah Annie unknown MS, and the mother of his wife, who were both un-named on the marriage record. 

So, just one more step now for his service record.  I have tried loads of searches at National Archives, but nothing has come up.  I also filled in an online enquiry form, response was a message indicating an answer to my enquiry 10 -12 days hence.  However, I have heard nothing back to date.

My question please, any advice or tips on searching the Military Service records at National Archives?  I am completely stumped!  I have tried the variations of his name, also his name and birthplace of Moate, WESTMEATH, Ireland, as stated in the Military notes from Derby Museum, Jonathan G. Matthews.  All census info I have for him state his full name as John Gibbons Mathews his birthplace as Newry, Ireland.

Thank you all for your past assistance, if you can give me any more pointers to pick up on his service record that would be wonderful! 

My Scavenger Hunt has been amazing in terms of what the chatters have unearthed, so I've put most of this new Military info on there as well

Thanks so much once again for all your contributions.  Much appreciated.

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 June 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
As he bought himself out of the army he would not have gone on to pension, and if he didn't go on to pension then his discharge records may not have been retained. You are very fortunate to have been able to glean so much information from the regimental archives.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 June 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
I just typed you a reply Shaun, but lost it!  Here goes again!

Thank you for that about no record kept if he bought himself out. I'm disappointed but, really, with what I got from the Derby Museum, im so fortunate!  I'm just being greedy!

You've been really helpful, all through,  and your assistance has been wonderful!  And don't worry, I have no more Military Ancestors, only my Dad, he was in the NZ AIR FORCE, WW2, and I have his full Record, from the NZ Defence Force Archives, which are only about 10 minutes away from where I live!   And I know all his family stories already, cos I'm in them too! ;D

Thank you yet again!.

Jeanne😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 June 15 14:12 BST (UK) »
The records of soldiers who served before 1920 are held at TheNational Archive, Kew, Surrey, TW9 4DU,

Another museum with information that is 4-5 years out of date. Now that they are on Findmypast they are no longer available at Kew.

Ken

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 June 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken!  I'll have another shot on there just in case!  Although I don't recall having previously found any military stuff on him through FindMyPast, THIS  time I'll look for him as well under the Jonathan G. Matthews that is shown on the Derby Museum information received.

Much appreciated
Jeanne 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections