Author Topic: German in Napoleon's army  (Read 1394 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German in Napoleon's army
« on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to help an American friend with this one. We've found the birth details of their German ancestor (he later emigrated to the US), but the family story is that inbetween he was conscripted into/joined Napoleon's army. Is there any way we can check this out & where should we look ?

All help gratefully received

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German in Napoleon's army
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greyingrey,

first step is to give all the details your friend knows: names, dates, places (even the "family story" versions :) )

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Napoleon's armies had huge numbers of foreign mercenaries. You can read about it:

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/web2.airmail.net/napoleon/infantry_Napoleon_3.htm#frenchintroforeign
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much. His name was Anton Schmitz (sorry about the Schmitz) & he was born on 10 Sep 1785 in Kell near Andernach (in today's Rheinland Pfalz) The family story says that he fought for Napoleon in the 1812 Russian campaign & was in Blücher's troops at Waterloo. His first child was born in 1820. He was a Catholic

We've got the details of a book someone has recommended about troops returning to that area, so I'm going to see if I can ferret that out at any German bookshops on the internet

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been able to find the book via Amazon de/Abe Books de (anyone know of any other booksellers who might be able to help ?), although they do have other titles by the same author. But I've found that he's in charge of the archives at Speyer (he's Joachim Kermann), so I'll try & get in touch with him once the holidays have ended

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Greyingrey,

you could look at these websites:

www.zvab.com

www.booklooker.de

www.bookfinder.com

Viv

Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot, Viv

Offline schmitzjo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Greyingrey,
Your American friend may be a distant cousin of mine since my great x4 grandfather was Anton Schmitz. My great x3 grandfather was his son, Nicolaus Schmitz. I have never heard the family story about the Napoleonic Wars but am very curious if you have discovered anything further. My family and I are doing a bit of genealogical research of our own. I was actually trying to verify that the family is from Kell (my grandfather always said the family was from "Kiel" but perhaps that was a pronunciation thing). So a google search of Anton Schmitz and Kell led me to your post. Any information you could share that you have dug up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
J. Schmitz