Author Topic: saville and foljambe family rufford abbey  (Read 4149 times)

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
saville and foljambe family rufford abbey
« on: Wednesday 29 December 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
this leads on from a question i posted earlier about a lady called Sellestana Anne Pe*Lava Livinia Spencer.
her youngest son was called Thomas Saville Foljambe Moore born 1881 in kirkby in ashfield. i was intrigued by this name and did some googling and found reference to a francis ferrand moore in the 1700's who was a distant cousin of the foljambe family. he inherited the title that went with the foljambe name as he was the only living relation at the time.  he changed his name from Moore to Foljambe and then he married into the Saville family.
this was way before my ancestor Thomas was born but it does seem odd that he was born with the full name saville foljambe moore. i have no idea how to find out if my family (moore) is related to the savilles and foljambes, and i was wondering if anyone had this family in their tree or knows enough of the family history to fill in the gaps. many thanks
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: saville and foljambe family rufford abbey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Your 'googling' probably produced this site but if not you might find something useful by searching the names you are interested in:

http://www.rotherhamweb.co.uk/genealogy/index.htm

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hanford

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I know this is a bit late, but I was going through Notts university archives online and remembered that you were searching for the Foljambe family...
There's a record here for a Cecil Foljambe, not sure if you've seen it but just incase you haven't  :)
http://mss-cat.nottingham.ac.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=19&dsqSearch=%28MgtGroup%3D%27Genealogical%20and%20local%20history%27%29

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
thank you rachey. i still havent been able to prove a link between my gentleman and the foljambe saville family, but i do think without any doubt there is one!

saville foljambe moore

Offline Ellen2812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too am a MOORE and was intrigued about this family as one of my MOOREs married an Elizabeth FERRAND and Francis Ferrand MOORE changed his surname to FOLJAMBE to inherit the title from his grandfather and uncle.  After a lot of research, I discovered that they are actually PERCYs as when Thomas PERCY was involved in the Gunpowder Plot, his brother, William and William's son Edward, changed their surname from PERCY to MOORE - William's wife's maiden name.  Thus MOORE came down the families until Francis Ferrand Moore changed his name to Foljambe.  All very wealthy and influential!

I too can't make the connection between this family and mine alas, but feel in my bones, it is there somewhere!

Regards, Ellen

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 October 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
oh my goodness this totally spooked me as just this morning i tried googling this moore foljambe saville thing, havin left it for a long time, and then theres your reply to my post!

what really really throws me is the man in my tree who inherited this name was born 1881- a long time after francis ferrand moore and the saville fojambe names he took. maybe the family were just feeling fanciful.

are your moore's all coalminers from portland row in kirkby?

saville foljambe moore

Offline Ellen2812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No, my MOOREs were mostly Joiners and came from Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

Offline janwhysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
My great grandad's younger sister was Fanny Gill Hardstaff. She married John James Moore, a miner and lived at 25 Victoria St., Selston, a short distance from Portland Row, Kirkby. When I researched the Moore family, like you, I discovered that John James had 3 sisters and 5 brothers, the youngest being Thomas Saville Foljambe Moore B 1880. As all the other siblings have family/ordinary names, it does make you wonder how he came to be so called. Also, his mother was the middle child of 5, again with a fancy name i.e. Celestina Anne Pamelina Lavinia Spencer B 1841 Blackwell, Derbyshire. Her family were framework knitters and there is nothing to suggest that wealth played any part in their lives.
Could it be delusions of grandeur? It's a real mystery!

Offline Ellen2812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 September 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
There seem to have been many Moores and Foljambes in the Derbyshire area so guess we are all related somewhere along the line!!
Regards
Ellen