Author Topic: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants  (Read 21842 times)

Offline wiccacat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
drakeley - fairground/coal merchants
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had come across the Drakeley Family? I know they had a fairground in the early 1900's and later became coal merchants and there is still a distant part of my line that still run a fairground in the South.

I would like to find out when they got in to the fairground and if there are any gypsy connections as I was told there is when I was a child but unfortunaely there is no one around anymore that I can ask.

Thanks

Wiccacat
Rollason
Elston
Daddy
Blake
Drakeley

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
hi, w.cat, i dont recognise the name as a gypsy one. but most fairground people dont really mix with romany folk. that said my uncle did marry into a old cumbrian fair family.there are fairground family history sites on the net, well worth a look, sadly i cannot recall the sites, but am sure if you give showman history, a look somthing will turn up. good luck  rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline JDG

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Member
  • Butcher & Orlando One Name Studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 11 12:11 GMT (UK) »
We may have a few coincidences..... I have both the name of Drakeley and Elstone. My Elstone's were in the Hampshire,Sussex & Surrey borders. My Great Grandfather, John Matthews (1875 - 1931) was the Great Grandson of William Matthews and Bethsheba Drakely from Nuneaton. Like you, there was also a hint of perhaps a gyspy connection. Can we share notes? and see if there is actually a connection?
Regards,
Julie

Researching:
ORLANDO - One Name Study (everywhere & especially Sutera Sicily) - (GOONS 3925)
BUDD (Puttenham Surrey)
ELSTONE (Bramshott Hampshire)
GOUCHER (Scarcliffe Derbyshire)
MATTHEWS, Edith married Charles JELLEY 1902 Guildford. Descendants sought!
WORSHIP - One Name Study (especially Huntingdonshire)- (GOONS 3925)
BUTCHER - One Name Study (especially Wonersh Surrey) - (GOONS 3925)
Puttenham Surrey - One Place Study
Sutera Sicily - One Place Study

Offline wiccacat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry for the delay (whoops) I have seen those names. I'll have a dig and see what I can find.
Rollason
Elston
Daddy
Blake
Drakeley

Offline dcox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 March 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »
my name is Diana Cox (nee Goodhead) i am the great grandaughter of Tom Drakely who had fairground in the midlands, an my grandad Goodhead had a coal business. there is a gypsy connection on the Goodhead side as my great grandad Goodhead married a gypsy called Rebecca Neal her brother Josiah Neal. If you would like to know more dont hesitate to get in contact.
Diana Cox

Offline wiccacat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana

thanks for the message. any information would be great and if i can help you in any way please ask. i may be on here at odd times and dates as i had my babay a week ago so please bear with me! lol

Wiccacat
Rollason
Elston
Daddy
Blake
Drakeley

Offline dcox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 12 14:20 GMT (UK) »
i don't come on here much, i now live in lincolnshire and would like to talk to you more. my email address is * the goodhead family originates from burton on Trent but my great grandad goodhead was the blacksheep of the family as he married a gypsy, i since found out this year she was Jewish so that could be another reason.
look forward to hearing from you soon.
Diana Cox
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie, it is a number of years since we have been in contact.  As you are aware Bathsheba and William are my great great grandparents.

The fair ground family are descended from Abraham Drakeley (1665) who was Bathsheba's great grandfather.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wakaman3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, first time at this so I hope it's right.
My name is Raymond F Drakeley, born in Kitts Green, Stechford, Birmingham 33 in 1953. For the early  part of my life the Drakeley fair would winter and set up on a piece of ground in Stechford on the banks of the river Cole opposite Cotterills lane island. I believe that the land is still unused today so is it still owned by the fair? And yes I believe they sold coal from there too.
I was always lead to believe that my family were linked to a family of 9 brothers who started the fair, I think the main player was Charles Drakeley, I have not yet verified any of this. Some of the rides are still in use and apparently owned by their descendants. The helter skelter was built in the early 1900's and is still in use, recently it was in Malvern.  At present my knowledge of family only goes back to1886, my grand father.