Author Topic: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants  (Read 9741 times)

Offline wakaman3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: drakeley - fairground/coal merchants
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have recently convinced myself that there is no connection between my family and the fairground. for those looking and not heard of it, there is a book called "midland fairground families" by Ned Williams, there is a good section on the Drakeley fair / coal business including some family tree information.

Good luck with your searches.  Ray

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KittyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody I hope you are all well. I understand this is quite an old post but I don't know where else to go. I'm looking for information on the Drakeleys. My name's side. She told me her line were travellers until her mom decided she didn't want to live in a 'bleedin' can't anymore. At that point my great grandad John or 'Jack' worked the coal barges in Birmingham instead of the fairgrounds. I'm curious as I've read that Romany married in to my family. I would love to know more if anyone can help me? Behind the frogs (love that name) do you have information at all? Indeed does anyone? Much love xxx

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Drakelys in my tree that could fit the information that you give above.  Once you have made a few more posts we can exchange private messages and I can send you copies.  Meanwhile can you narrow the field a little by providing a few dates and places.  In particular do you know the names of any of John's siblings.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KittyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! This could be invaluable. Sadly my nanna is poorly and her memory with it but I have asked my dad to findd out what he can. I can certainly provide the name of my great nan and all of my nan's siblings shortly when he gets back to me.