Author Topic: 1861 Census Bridgnorth  (Read 9994 times)

Offline Paul123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Bridgnorth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Gwynne

Thank you for that.  If you remember you put me on this track last year when you sent me a copy of a similar story from the Times, which I have now got a full version of.
I wonder if it ever appeared in the Express and Star.
It was probably in the Bridgnorth Journal as Sarah and and her husband Thomas lived in Bridgnorth for a time and her parents (the name of Evans) kept an Inn on the Cartway.
My next journey is to Staffs record office as I think she went to Prison in Stafford Jail.  I understand they were taking photographs of inmates during the period she was there.
How on earth you find all this information is amazing.

Thank you so much for the information.

Paul

Offline Paul123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Oh Gwynne
I also found the site of Sarah's grave last year in Jeffcock Road cemetery in Wolverhampton.

Paul

Offline nunbetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 January 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Joseph was Thomas Cockiing's SON. He told me and all his children that his father was adopted and his surname should  really be "Cresswell". 

He also us that he wouldn't change his name back to "Cresswell" because _quote "if the name Cocking was good enough for my father, then it's good enough for me".

On Thomas's marriage certificate to Sarah Evans, he states his father as Joseph Cockin, gun locksmith, even though he was adopted by him ( to learn an apprenticeship.) 

I am sure my grandfather Joseph Cocking had no reason to make this up. Why on earth should he?????????

Offline nunbetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 January 12 00:08 GMT (UK) »
You will know that Thomas Cockin is not living in Bridgnorth with Sarah and children on 1971 census.

This is because Sarah took to the bottle (alcoholic) and Thomas left her.

He moved to Darlaston for work and to get away from Sarah.

Her father Addison Evans threw her out when she was a teenager due to the drink. I suppose the fact he owned a brewery and a pub didn't help her much.

I have been told that the family were quite wealthy once - and owned buildings in Wellington Street ? Yet Sarah and her father ended up in poverty...probably due to the drink.

Offline Paul123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 January 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.  There are so many little bits of info that I have read abpout Sarah over the period I have been researching her.  I found her grave last year in Wolverhampton cemetry.  have we been in contact before?  Would you like to speak on my normal email address

Offline sarahryder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 February 13 14:16 GMT (UK) »
My name before marriage was Sarah Cocking. Thomas and Sarah Cockin(g) (nee Evans) were my great, great grandparents. Bill who is named in the article regarding Sarah's trial is my father's father's  father. I know absolutely nothing about any of the things previously posted in this thread and would be extremely grateful for any information about my family, particularly the link with Cresswell/Wood as I am tracing my family history.  :o