Author Topic: Grapes Inn, Whitesands 1877  (Read 3679 times)

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grapes Inn, Whitesands 1877
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I would like to know the exact location of the Grapes Inn in 1877. I'm aware of at least a couple of locations for Inn's of this name on Whitesands and I'm trying to establish which location my great grand parents were married. I guess they couldn't afford the church?  :-[

My great grandparents were married at the Grapes Inn, Whitesands, Dumfries on 18th October 1877. The marriage record show's that the father of the bride (Joseph McHolm) was an Inn Keeper, so presumably it was his establishment?

I've looked through business records, but unfortunately they were outside of the window of time I required. I would like to know the proprietors of the Grapes Inn through the 1870's and the address on Whitesands.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grapes Inn, Whitesands 1877
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 11 15:33 GMT (UK) »
hi, found these from newspaper, 1885 grapes inn whitesands sold to mr t.s. mccauley for £950, also advertised for sale 1898 the property then belonged to a roderick niven, thats the only two i can see in papers

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Harry.
In the 1871 census report Joseph McHolm (Inn Keeper) resides at 16 Bridge Street, Dumfries. Bridge Street is now Whitesands. I've looked at old ordnance survey maps of 1850 and 1893, but I'm not certain of the location of 16 Bridge Street as listed in 1871. From what I can deduce, it's the location where the Worlds End Pub is situated at present. There is a Grapes Inn at this position clearly marked on the 1850 OS Map. However, I have a picture of a Grapes Inn further down the road at the turn of the century. Hence, there is doubt.

I haven't found a record of the 'valuation roll' for 1871 or 1877 which may confirm Joseph McHolm as the Inn Keeper of The Grapes Inn and the address? he doesn't show up on the 1879-80 valuation roll or the Post Office Directory for 1882 and 1901-02.

He may have died by this time, but I have never found his death record.

Offline farish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi the Grapes Inn was located at the bottom of New Bridge Street and have map. My interest is that a branch of my tree was the innkeeper there and died there in 1854. My e mail is (*) if you would like a copy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
shankland,farish,vallance, renwick, hastie

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 October 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I would be interested in the information you have. I think you may have to "private message" (PM) me, as email names are filtered out.
Thanks.

Offline mcron

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
According to his death certificate, a David McRonald (who died 25June1863 at age 50 in Dumfries District of the County of Dumfries Scotland) had been Innkeeper at Grapes Inn Whitesands Dumfries.  His widow at the time is shown to be Margaret Shankland.  You will see this information on Scotland's 1863 [Statutory Deaths 821/00 0228].  Check it out on the Gow Family Tree in Ancestry.com

Offline percy_veer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
A late reply  :)
Thanks for the information. As you may know there are several pubs/inns adjacent to Whitesands. Would you know the name of the pub that stands there now (2022)? I've found it difficult to work out the exact location. My best guess is where The World's End pub is (27-29 White Sands, Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway, DG1 2RR).

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 13:42 BST (UK) »
If you go to the NLS Mapping section and have a look at the Town plans for Dumfries, the 1850, 25" OS map shows the location of the Grapes Inn as facing onto the R.Nith.  Scaling from the OS plan, the site appears to be occupied currently by The Worlds End pub, as correctly determined by yourself. 
https://maps.nls.uk/view/74415256 .

Istrice