Author Topic: AYRSHIRE 1900 Death Record  (Read 3020 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
AYRSHIRE 1900 Death Record
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Could someone please look at this piece of death entry for me? These are my 3xgreat grandparents, an I sooo need this maiden name!

It's from the Parish of New Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, 1900. I'm looking particularly at the maiden surname of the mother, Elizabeth ????  The other names in here are all Watson. Also the cause of death - General debility,  ??? Gangrene Cardiac then is it incompetency??  (Yes, I know - I'm the incompetent one here) ;D.

Really grateful for your expertise on this!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AYRSHIRE 1900 Death Record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could it be Mather?

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5

Opps, sorry looking wrong bit, I think Ruskie has it, Whitacre.
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Whitacre?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:04 GMT (UK) »
'General debility'
'Senile gangrene'
'Cardiac incompetency' may be third cause of death?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:12 GMT (UK) »
(fabulous name - Whitfield Watson!  ;)_

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I feel that the maiden name starts with W the same as in Whitfield Watson and it could be Whitacre or not sure of last bit.
Suzy

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 10 01:53 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D You guys amaze me!   I just wandered away from the computer to have a bit of lunch, came back and refreshed the page, and there you all are.!!  Thank you all so much! Incredible!

Yep - Whitefield Watson great name, sometimes with the e, sometimes without! But Durham??? where I have got back to with this line - there are so many Josephs and Whitefields.  :o This is the generation that I am hunting at the moment. Joseph Watson - died in New Cumnock) (of the death Cert) hailed from (Stanhope -I think) in Durham. 67 when he died, make him born about c1833. That's why I needed the maiden name! So thank you!  Now I'm off to find her!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 10 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I thought they might hail from Durham. Whitfield is a common surname there (I have some myself) and they like to use surnames as first names in that area.

I had a really quick look on the IGI and Scotland's People but couldn't see a Watson/Whitacre marriage. Do you think they married in England? There are some great resources for Durham so I hope you track them down.  :)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 10 04:32 GMT (UK) »
All Josephs and Whitefields right through the Watson families.  Name repetitions just like all my Scottish families.  That gave me a good insight into my Mums family though, her name was Jessie McMillan Mason McAughtrie, and her mother was Elizabeth Walker Boyd Watson, my Nanny had kept all certificates too, even her father's marriage!  Scotland's people didn't make much out of me for that lot - Thank You Nanny!!  McAughtries not so good though, nearly all Thomas right through my male line, and there's thousands of them!  Oh well, I'm waffling!

Back to the topic sorry, my Joseph Watson in the certificate,  Book reference I have states he "came to New Cumnock from Stanhope in Durham to Iron mine for the Nithsdale Mining Company". That later closed down and he went to the coal mines.  He married Elizabeth ?? Whiteacre??. and probably in Durham. The same paragraph in the book states that "Elizabeth Watson came from Stanhope in Durham, and they had children, Joseph, Whitefield and Susannah.  They had several more children in New Cumnock, including another Joseph, another Whitefield, ( my great grandfather) and a Susannah. YAY!!

From the IGI
Whitefield WATSON from Stanhope:-
Whitfield WATSON
Sex: M

Event(s):
Christening: 17 May 1806
Stanhope, Durham, England

Parents:
Father: Joseph WATSON
Mother: Susanna HILL

I think that could possibly be the next generation back though.  Or someone else entirely. LOL So, for me, it's back to Durham to try and find the marriage Watson/Whiteacre.

Thank You all so much for your assistance. I would never have been able to read that name etc!!  Right now I'm going to get a coffee and go to Durham!!  :D

PS do you think it would be a good idea if I get this moved to the Durham Board now?

Jeanne NZ

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections