Author Topic: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment  (Read 41240 times)

Offline sjfletcher

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 January 09 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to track down my great, great grandfather, who served in the Loyal North Lancs in the First World War. However, all I know of him is that his surname was Owen and that he lost a lung in a gas attack (the Somme, we think). We also think he was Welsh, although there is some doubt about this; he spent the rest of his life in Bolton.

Not much to go on, I know, but worth a shot...

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 January 09 05:55 GMT (UK) »
The Loyal North Lancs had over 10 Battalions.

Was going to suggest you try WWI Service Records but without either a first name or initial will be a bit of a problem as I don't think you can search just using the Regiment's name.

Think the best way to find out is checking the birth certificate of one of his children. This at least would give you his first name plus his wife's name. Then check through the 1901 census records to find them.

When you find them it may show their son's birth place - providing they do not just put dow Wales  :-\

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline subrichards

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 July 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find any info on my Great Grand Father who I believe was in this regiment.
His name is James Moorhouse he came from Padiham, Lancs.
I've searched Ancestry but can't find anything  :-[
NAMES:
Moorhouse, Finn, Lambert,
Little, Rimmer, Richards

PLACES:
Padiham, Southport, Ormskirk Lancashire and
Askrigg, Aysgarth, Burton, Muker Yorkshire

Online mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 July 09 09:42 BST (UK) »
Cant see any James Moorhouse with LNL but there are 4 Herbert Moorhouse on the Medal Index Cards....There are Two James Moorhouse listed as EAST LANCASHIRE Regiment could he have been in this? Medal Index Cards only cover regiments he would have served overseas with so he may have transferred regiments before going to France?
Do you have any photos or medals for his cap badge his medals will have name.number and regiment on the rims.

Ady

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline subrichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
All the info I have was given to me by my mum but she wasn't very sure of any of it. I know there was a big family falling out when my aunt (mums sister, now dead) sold his medals to buy a carpet!

I do remember my grandma told me many years ago that he fought in the Boer war .

On the census 1901 Census he is described as - Soldier (Infantryman)
he is his head of family, age 35 and living at 21 James Street, Padiham with his wife Elizabeth and children Lily, Handel, Arthur, Louis and step daughter Emily Chisnall.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
NAMES:
Little, Rimmer, Richards

PLACES:

Online mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
At 35 in 1901 he would have been pretty old for great war frontline service at nearly 50 (not unheard of though).He may not have served overseas in WW1 so no medal card...I think you need someone to check the Kings and Queens South Africa Rolls for LNL and Boer War Service hopefully youl find it.Have you found him on the 1911 census? If he was an army pensioner by then his record is likely to be at Kew..unless it was put in Great War Records then only 30% survive and are been put on ancestry now.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline subrichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.

NAMES:
Little, Rimmer, Richards

PLACES:

Offline WATTERS2831

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
hi everyone , i am new to the site and from what i have seen and read there are sum pretty helpful people on here , so here's hoping somebody can help me
find out more on my great grandfather, i have tried the ancestry website but they cannot offer me anything , if anyone can add anything to what i already know i would really appreciate it

his name was Pte. James ormerod , born in clayton-le-moors 1897 and joined the loyal north lancs regiment (when ? which battalion?) the musuem at fulwood barracks said he was later transferred to the kings own lancaster regiment (when ? which battalion? where?) he was awarded the british and victory medals, which meant he went overseas (when ? where ? and for how long?)  I've also been told by family he'd been gassed by the germans , probably mustard gas or similar , he survived the war and died in 1962 , but had terrible chest and breathing difficulties throughout his later life

thanks again to anyone who can help

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 October 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
I believe from what you have written that your g-g-father was Private James Ormerod who served as 27670 with the Loyals then as 51542 with the King’s Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment.

His Medal Index Card on Ancestry does not report a Battalion with either regiment, so you would need to consult the medal rolls at Kew (not available online) to determine this. He does not have a “Date of Entry” to a theatre of war which is usually taken to indicate that a man did not go overseas prior to January 1916.

Service records for surnames “O” have not yet been loaded online by Ancestry and so again, without visiting Kew, there is no way of knowing if his service records are among the small percentage which have survived. He does not have any so-called “Pensions” papers. Without the service records, there’s no way of knowing the dates on which he joined, transferred or was discharged, I’m afraid.
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info