Author Topic: Passenger list - "John Renwick" - Anne BRENNAN  (Read 8703 times)

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Dawn Spillane - 1927 - 2000
    • View Profile
Passenger list - "John Renwick" - Anne BRENNAN
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello all & Happy New Year,

I wonder if anyone has access to the passenger list for the "John Renwick" - arrived into Sydney 1838/39? I am looking for the arrival of my gggrandmother Ann/e BRENNAN. She married my gggrandfather (Michael BLAKENEY) in 1842.

I hae the details of his arrival, their marriage and subsequent family, along with his transportation details, but cannot find her.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Julie
NORTON/KNOCKTON/KNOCKTER - Ireland to Goulburn/Young/Cootamundra NSW Australia
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
SPILLANE - Limerick, Ireland, Melbourne Australia
GAUNT - England, Melbourne Australia
EGAN - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
CROKE - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger list - "John Renwick" - Anne BRENNAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

John Renwick
From Woolwich 29th April 1838 and Downs 2nd May 1838
Arr. Sydney August 1838
172 female prisoners and 22 children

Passengers:

Major MARLEY, Barrack Master for Sydney
Mrs MARLEY
Miss Marley
Misses Fanny and Selina MARLEY
Master Edward and Bayley MARLEY
Mr Henry BEVERLEY
Mrs BEVERLEY
Andrew SMITH Esq. RN Surgeon
Five free females and nineteen free children (these are not named)

This ship did not make a voyage to Australia in 1839.

Debra  :D

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 11 05:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Debra,

I got the ships name from the Convict application to marry (I think you may have sent that to me!). Now I have no idea where to go. Oh well, I'll think of something. She is "findable" in the newspapers - they had quite a stormy relationship from what I've read on NLA beta!

Cheers,
Julie
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 05:15 GMT (UK) »
I see the permission to marry which shows Ann as 'emigrant' so it would seem that she would have been one of the 'five free females'.  

There is a short account of the arrival of the John Renwick in The Colonist but no more info than Debra has already posted.
There are other voyages for this ship with emigrants aboard.

Could Ann have been on one of those voyages?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31721608?searchTerm=passengers%20AND%20"john%20renwick"&searchLimits=exactPhrase=john+renwick|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd|||frommm|||fromyyyy|||todd|||tomm|||toyyyy|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||sortby

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

I was not aware of this being availble and just found it on the New South Wales web site. They are making images of the Shipping microfilms available. I found one of my ancestors on the George Fife in 1841 using it.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316

Hope this helps.

Noells
Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 11 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links - I love State records & Trove (you can find heaps of stuff!). I've just done a search but can't find her there. Also checked SAG but no luck as yet. I'll widen the years to 1835 - 1842 (they married in September of 1842). Never know your luck eh?

Cheers,
Julie
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 11 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I just wanted to make the comment that the details given were checked before permission to marry was granted.  This is not to say that there were not exceptions of course, but I have seen many entries where permission was refused because no record of a person's arrival on the stated vessel could be found.  Perhaps if Ann was an unnamed person on that ship she may have had to provide a reference or memorial as proof that she was a free immigrant.  I was actually thinking that she may have been a servant to the MARLEY or BEVERLEY families.

There are microfiche name indexes for the Colonial Secretary's Papers - Colonial Secretary's correspondence - Index to convicts and others, 1826-1877 and Letters sent re convicts, 1826-1855 which you may find at your library or family history society and would be worth checking.  I have seen many letters amongst this correspondence relating to convicts applying to marry.

Debra  :D

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 January 11 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant!! I hadn't thought of that angle - good chance she was a servant of some kind. I don't go back to work until Wednesday so I can go to the library on Tuesday & have a look then.

Lovely - thanks Debra.

Cheers,
Julie
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline Ducko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,  Ann remarried 1860 to William Duckett, He was part of the Royal Artillery, arriving in 1856. I've just got their marriage certificate transcription. What is interesting is that in her marriage to Michael Blakeney, she gave her name as Brennan, however in the marriage to William Duckett her father is listed as John Buckley. Her death registration (July 1902) gives his forenames as John Peter. The second marriage certificate also names her mother as Catherine Hogan.
The name could be a transcription error, when the church records were transcribed in 1906. However it may be worthwhile following up on the Buckley.
Similarly, on the marriage transcription, William's mother is named as Hannah Reeves. Again that is not so, as his mother was Mary Ann Duckett nee Bull. Mary Ann died in 1841 and William and his older  brother were placed in the Banbury Workhouse. William would have been about 4.
I've recorded what I can of the Blakeney descendents hoping to make contact with someone from that line to clarify things. Bruce