Author Topic: Passenger list - "John Renwick" - Anne BRENNAN  (Read 8713 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger list - "John Renwick" - Anne BRENNAN
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Bruce.

I'm wondering why the date of arrival is on the voyage of the John Renwick arriving in 1838.  The John Renwick was also in Sydney in September 1841 carrying immigrants rather than the convicts of the earlier voyage.  It left Plymouth 14 May 1841.  The convict permission to marry application is dated August 1842 so plenty of time for Ann and Michael to have met.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2554333

However, I can't see a suitable Ann BRENNAN or BUCKLEY on the passenger list.  Most of the immigrants seem to be from Ireland.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ducko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a Catherine and Howard Brennan. The Catherine is the right age. ??????

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see a Howard and Catherine BRENNAN on the John Renwick in 1841, only a Thomas and Catherine and her father's surname was COGHLAN.

Ann remarried 1860 to William Duckett.......What is interesting is that in her marriage to Michael Blakeney, she gave her name as Brennan, however in the marriage to William Duckett her father is listed as John Buckley. Her death registration (July 1902) gives his forenames as John Peter. The second marriage certificate also names her mother as Catherine Hogan.

You have the wrong Ann here.  It is more likely that William DUCKETT's wife was Ann/Anna/Hannah BLAKENEY formerly BUCKLEY, wife of John BLAKENEY.  Two children born in Cheshire, John in 1851 and Samuel in 1853, and another onboard the Nimroud in 1856 (possibly Mary who married James HODGKINSON as per Hannah's death notice).  Hannah's son Samuel was accidentally killed in Victoria in 1895:

In Memoriam -1898
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14147918

She was Hannah on the 1851 census in Cheshire, and also when she died.  She was aged 75 in 1902 so too young to be the wife of Michael BLAKENEY.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14467593
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111068461

Debra  :D

Offline Ducko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 December 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Debra Thanks so much. This is starting to make sense now. You are an angel. Bruce

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Dawn Spillane - 1927 - 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 December 17 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to Rootschat. You'll have already noticed that the people on here are lovely, and very helpful. Sorry I haven't replied earlier but I've just got the chance.

I believe that the replies you've had so far are correct in that my Anne remarried in 1855 (after Michael Blakeney died in 1854). However, I would really like to know whether your Anne's first marriage to a Michael Blakeney is in any way related to my Blakeney's. If you would like to PM me with any information you would be ok with sharing, I would be more than happy to share what I have with you.

Good luck with the hunt!

Cheers,
Julie
NORTON/KNOCKTON/KNOCKTER - Ireland to Goulburn/Young/Cootamundra NSW Australia
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
SPILLANE - Limerick, Ireland, Melbourne Australia
GAUNT - England, Melbourne Australia
EGAN - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
CROKE - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline Ducko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 December 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Julie, thanks heaps for your direction etc.

I'm finding this site incredibly user unfriendly... I don't really know how to use it..

Yes, I think I'm now on the right track, however I'm more than happy to hand over what I have on your Blakeney family. Unfortunately I don't know how to PM you from this site. Maybe you can PM me...no guarantee I'll know what to do though.

I appreciate any help I can get, and hence am only too happy to help others. In what I have on your family, I may have something extra for you. I hope so. There are certainly some trials and tribulations in there.

Bruce

Bruce.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 December 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce

R'chat is like many programs - once you get used to it it's fine! The on-line calendar I use has just updated its format so it's 'better', but I find it much worse.  :D Technology is great most of the time.  ::)

NOW - for you to send a PM go to a post by that person and click on their name.  this will give you a few details about them and under their photo it gives you these options:

[Add To Buddy List]
Send PM
Show Posts
Show Stats

Click on "send PM" and off you go........................   :)

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk