Author Topic: duncan harper  (Read 3807 times)

Offline teresa1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
duncan harper
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
looking for Private Duncan Harper who was In the Kings foot? in 1834 when his daughter Margaret Harper was born in Chatham Kent His Wife was Called Letitia Nee Kennedyany advise on this would be most welcome

Teresa1

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: duncan harper
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa

There were a number of regiments with Kings in the title. Duncan Harper actually served in the 8th Regiment of Foot, aka Kings Regiment. They were later the Liverpool Regiment. It would be easier to think of them as either the 8th Foot, or 8th Regiment.

Can you post the date of Margaret's birth, or is it her baptism?. He was serving in the Depot in Sunderland when they were sent to Jamaica via Chatham.

Ken

Offline teresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 January 11 01:44 GMT (UK) »
dear Sir, Ken

Margaret Harper was christened 2nd November 1834 in St Marys Chatham Kent father was Duncan Harper mother Letitia Harper maybe Kennedy??? I cannot thank you enough just tell me what I have to do to purchase records of marriage of Duncan and Letitia and births and where they served and died Kind regards teresa1

Offline teresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Ken
Dear Sir,

Can you let me have Duncan Harper regimental number,  are there any regimental photos, can I buy any books on their history My husband is a military history buff.  Did he serve in Australia Because in 1853 Margaret was in Australia and as of yet I cannot find how she arrived?  She was a Midwife so may have trained somewhere  I am so thrilled about your find once again thank you so much for the help  Kind regards Teresa1

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I hope this also helps you:-

Baptism/Christening Duncan Harper 22nd May 1831 St Mary The Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire.

Father Duncan Harper Mother Letitia Kennedy

Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline teresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 January 11 04:44 GMT (UK) »
 :)thank you so much keyboard86

This mean that Duncan and Letitia were in England for some time Letitia was Kennedy in 1831 but Harper in 1834 now I can look for a Marriage ??? :D It is just wonderful to find them  kind regards teresa1

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 January 11 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa

The reason I asked about Margaret's 'event' in Chatham was that a detachment of the 8th Foot were only there for a short period on the way from the Depot (then in Sunderland) to join the Battalion in Jamaica. I suspected it was Margaret’s baptism rather than birth that you had, both because of the short time they were in Chatham; but also as it was likely they decided to have her baptised before embarking on a long voyage to the West Indies. Conditions in the West Indies were appalling. It was not long before his time that men serving in either the West or East Indies (ie basically India) were awarded a 50% bonus in time allowed towards their pension.

Private Duncan Harper had the regimental number of 621. The detachment (of 68 all ranks) left Sunderland on 27 September 1834 and joined the Battalion in Spanish Town, Jamaica on 26 January 1835.

The baptism found by Keyboard is probably correct, as the Depot was in Stockport before moving to Sunderland in November 1833. The Historical Records of a regiment is probably the best source especially during peace time. Unfortunately the ones for the 8th Regiment have not been reprinted, and original copies cost c£150.

The 8th never served in Australia. Was Duncan with her? A discharged soldier could be given free passage to any colony; or maybe he transferred to another regiment who did serve there. Margaret probably learnt her trade as a midwife by watching army wives delivering babies, and she was probably born in Sunderland.

Ken

Offline teresa1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 January 11 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Ken
Dear Sir, The only thing I Know about Duncan and Letitia Harper is the christening of Margaret in St Marys chatham Kent , today I received this information from a rootschatter Baptism of Duncan Harper 22nd May 1831 St Mary the Virgin Blackburn.  Lancashire, father Duncan Harper, Mother Letitia Kennedy. will keep searching here and let you know. How and where  do I apply for original copies of the regiment?  Would he keep this number for the whole time in the Army?  Would the Army have a record of his death? Do you know of any books written about this Regiment?  was it common to transfer to another regiment? I cannot express how wonderful it is to find this family history without your help  I would not have this wonderful information to pass on to my children.   Kind regards teresa1

Offline Gavin1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 December 12 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I hope you don't mind me butting in but I found the exchange fascinating as my direct ancestor John Short  joined the 8th (Kings) Regiment 25 November 1825.  He was listed as being 5ft 6ins tall with blue eyes and light brown hair.  He married Sarah ALDRIDGE 30 July 1837 in Jamaica.
John was discharged from the army 12 September 1848 by the Board of the Chelsea Hospital.  He was suffering from chronic rheumatism and the effects of climate and the military service. My side of the Short Family here in the Falklands is descended from his son George Short who was born whilst he was still in Jamaica.
I wish you well in your search and I would be fascinated to learn more about the 8th regiment acticities whilst in Jamaica.
My very best wishes
Gavin