Author Topic: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan  (Read 27055 times)

Offline captainbeecher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Robert Sherrard born 1831, possibly in Londonderry, the son of Robert Sherrard and Nancy Starrett {dec 1887}, brother of Matthew {1831-1903} and Sarah, who married Mary Jane Buchanan, born 1830, daughter of William Buchanan at Londonderry registry office on December 28th 1858. They had issue:

Sarah Ann Sherrard {1857-1913}
Robert Sherrard {1862-1952}
William Sherrard {1863-??}
Mary Jane Sherrard {1865-??} Slaughtmanus
Elizabeth Sherrard {1867-??}
Thomas Sherrard {1870-??} Slaughtmanus
Matilda Sherrard {1871-??}

In the 1901 census the couple lived in Slaughtmanus with a nephew
Robert died on December 10th 1910
Mary died in Glendermott Road on July 19th 1921

If there is anything else you can add about this couple particularly exact dates and places of birth and Mary's mother's name, or think you are a descendant get in touch.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 11 19:09 GMT (UK) »
1901 census should list Robert Sherrard's county of birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jinks64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi captainbeecher. I cant give you any extra information than you already have about Robert Sherrard but his brother Matthew is my great, great grandfather. Let me know if you want any information on him.

Offline captainbeecher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jinks

It's possible that we've been in contact with each other before as I made contact with two great great grandchildren of Matthew through his daughter's Margaret and Matilda's lineage last year {my fourth cousins as I am a twice great grandson of Robert}. They shared a large Sherrard resource with me, although to date I have not had the chance to properly research the Sherrard family against NI Government records.

It's always good to check what I have for errors and also see if yours is a new branch that to date I am unaware of.

I have Matthew as marrying Nancy Reilly on January 27th 1848, their children being

Nancy July 4th 1850 {don't know anything else about her branch}
Robert 1851 {had 6 known children, 15 grand children and 1 known gt grand child-surname Rowan}
Matilda Jane Aug 13 1852 {married and had two children}
William James Oct 2 1855
Elizabeth May 25 1858
Samuel 1861 {6 children, 7 grand children}
Margaret Jul 2 1865 {12 children 16 grand children 2 gt grand children surnames Moore and Irwine and 2 twice gt grand children}
Matilda May 29 1867 {1 child, 8 grand children, 19 gt grand children surnames McMenemy, McKeegan and Laird 44 twice gt grand children, 10 thrice gt grand children
Rachel Jun 4 1869 {2 children}
Edward 1874 {two children}

This research has come almost entirely from members of the McMenemy, Laird, Moore and Irwine familes.

Offline jinks64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Captainbeecher. Sorry was just looking back at older posts and your right, we were talking in another thread ;D

Offline Christine Lyttleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Yes, I do know Jane Buchanan who married Robert Sherrard!  She is my GGG Aunt.  She used the name was Jane and was baptised on 24 January 1836 in Cumber Lower as Jane.  Her parents were William Buchanan and Mary Norris.  Jane was not a tall lady and she was very fair.  She had two older brothers, James and William Buchanan.  James was born in 1827 and William was born in 1832 at Highmoor Road, Cumber Lower.  I think she also had an older brother Robert. Jane also had a younger sister Elizabeth. 
Jane was born on a farm at Highmoor (Highmoor Road) in Cumber Lower, not too far from the Sherrard family.  Her parents had a farm at Highmoor, or were labourers on the farm.  William Buchanan was also listed with the occupation of a Weaver.  In the early 1850s, Jane's older brothers James and William (and perhaps Robert) left Londonderry for Liverpool where they caught another ship and came to Australia.  William became the Blacksmith at Beaufort in Victoria, and James also worked as a Blacksmith and farmer at Waterloo near Beaufort.  Beaufort is near Ballarat.  Jane's sister Elizabeth, as far as I know, went to America and settled in Mingo, Jefferson County.  She married someone named Mr Brown.  I don't know much about her as yet.

Jane was about 14 when her brothers and sister left and stayed in Lower Cumber where she married Robert Sherrard who was a farmer on Slaghtmanus Road, Cumber Lower.  It was Jane and Robert Sherrard's daughter who was Mary Jane.  I did know that Jane lived to quite a good age. Most of the Buchanans lived to well in their 80s back in the 1800s. Jane's father William was born in Landaire, which I understand to be another word for Londonderry.  I was told this by an Irishman.

I am not surprised that Jane died on Glendermott Road.  Her brother James had married Catherine Cairns (although the surname Kane is used on their marriage certificate).  Catherine's family had a farm at Listress and Catherine had relatives at Glendermott.  Jane and Robert Sherrard's daughter Mary Jane Sherrard, who was born in 1865, married into the Cairns family. She married James Cairns who had a farm at the time in Highmoor Road, Cumber Lower. Mary Jane was living at Waterside at the time of her marriage, with her brother Robert Sherrard jnr.  Robert jnr. also married into a Cumber Local family. He married Elizabeth Torrens whose family lived on Slaghtmanus Road. 

I understand that the Buchanans originally came from around the Loch Lomond area of Scotland.  Unfortunately, I have no idea when they came to Londonderry.  I wish I did.  I'm just waiting on a letter from the Victorian Archives (Australia) which is allegedly written by Jane's sister Elizabeth.  Someone may know a lot more about the Buchanans than I know.  I also have lots of photos of Jane's brothers James and William and their families.

Jane and Robert Sherrard's daughter Elizabeth also married a Cumber Lower man. Elizabeth married John Donnell of Slaghtmanus Road in 1889.  I know they had at least two children, because the children lived with Jane and Robert when the children were older.

I hope all of this helps. Maybe one day someone from the Buchanan side of the family will be able to give me some more information.  I know that James, William and Elizabeth Buchanan could read and write, so it is very likely that Jane could read and write as well.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 15 08:40 GMT (UK) »
1911- Robert & Jane Sherrard (married 53 years, 7 children/4 living) with grandchildren Robert & Matilda Donnell
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Slaghtmanus/599210
marriage (1858) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZM-NDY
Probate of the Will of the late Robert Sherrard, Slaughtmanus, Co. Londonderry, Farmer, who died 10 December 1918, granted at Londonderry 5 March 1919 to Alexander Hall, Farmer. Effects: £7

Matilda Carlson (born c1881 Ireland), daughter of Robert Sherrard & Jane Buchanan, married Mingo, Jefferson Co., Ohio
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XDDR-ML9
1st marriage to John Carlson https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X8D6-3XD

Birth of several other children of Robert Sherrard & Jane Buchanan listed at www.familysearch.org

Sherrard Robert of Slaughtmanus county Londonderry farmer died 12 August 1930 at The Infirmary Waterside Londonderry Administration W/A Londonderry 12 December[1930] to Bernard Kilkey farmer. Effects £83 15s. Limited Grant. D.B.N. D.R. 29.11.43
Sherrard Robert of Slaughtmanus county Londonderry farmer died 12 August 1930 at The Infirmary Waterside Londonderry W/A (d.b.n.) Londonderry 29 November [1943] to Bernard Joseph Sherrard motor lorry driver. Unadministered Effects £22 10s. Former Grant Administration W/A (limited) Londonderry D.R. 12 December 1930.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_No__5_Urban/Dungiven_Road/606443

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 March 15 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Jane and Robert Sherrard's daughter Elizabeth also married a Cumber Lower man. Elizabeth married John Donnell of Slaghtmanus Road in 1889.  I know they had at least two children, because the children lived with Jane and Robert when the children were older.

John Donnell and Elizabeth Sherrard married 18 June 1889. Son Robert was born the following month 29 July 1889 and Matilda on 7 July 1892.
Children also with Sherrard grandparents in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Slaghtmanus/1528279

I searched GRONI's database for other children and came up with quite a few named Donnell with mother Sherrard in Londonderry district-
William John born 10 Mar.1896 Wm John
Margaret Eliza born 15 Aug.1898 Maggie
Mary Elizabeth born 5 July 1901 Mary Lizzie
Mary born 8 July 1904 Annie
Thomas Matthew born 12 Sept.1907 Matthew
According to 1911 census there were 7 children (all living)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Slaghtmanus/599222

One thing I need to point out is the place names you've listed. Before 1970s or so the addresses would have been townland names such as Slaghtmanus not Slaghtmanus Road.

PRONI have the Valuation Revision Books online which start from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) until c1930 and you can see the details for each property in a townland.
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

Offline Christine Lyttleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 March 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to aghdowey!!!
You are an excellent researcher and very knowledgeable.   
You were able to confirm for me that Elizabeth Buchanan (Mrs Brown) did in fact go to Mingo, Jefferson County.   When I receive the letter from her I will post the contents on this chat site. I really don't know too much about Roots Chat.  I only registered this morning. 
Yes, you are correct about Slaghtmanus being a town and not a Road.  Thank you for this.  The area looks beautiful on Google Earth. Very different to Australia. 
The Buchanans (or Sherrards or Browns in Mingo perhaps) kept in contact with James and William Buchanan's family in Australia until the late 1950s.  It must have been a hard life over there in the mid-1800s.  I know there were Buchanans in another County called Maghabera(sic). Maybe they were related. 
Thank you again, and I will post more information when it comes to hand