Author Topic: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan  (Read 27064 times)

Offline Christine Lyttleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Sherrard married Mary Buchanan
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Not certain how these photos are going through
Christine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble posting William Buchanan. Photo taken in 1865 but very clear.  Am being told the file is too large.  Will get assistance later.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 05:30 GMT (UK) »
To kingskerswell and all
I wrote the name Maghabera for the other Buchanans about 8 miles away from Slaghtmanus.  I meant to write Magheramore.  This is where they lived.  They may be related, but I really have no evidence of this.  Everything else I wrote today is correct. Still having trouble uploading the photo of William Buchanan.  Rootschat says it is too big.  Still working on this one.
Christine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Robert Buchanan is in the middle. He is the son of James Buchanan from Slaghtmanus. Born at Waterloo, Victoria in 1879. Photo taken in 1963. On left is Robert's son and on right is Robert's grandson, both of whom do not look like Buchanans of the Irish generations.
Robert looks like a Buchanan or a Norris.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Robert Buchanan with his sister Nancy Jane Buchanan.  Her middle name was for James Buchanan's sister Jane. Taken in the 1940s or 1950s more likely in Bendigo, Victoria.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Christine,
              For your information some of the names of the Buchanan family of Magheramore.
Robert 1792 - 1850 married Eliza Thompson of Gosheden, Lower Cumber.
Their son Alexander 1842 - 1920.
His children
Jane 1871-1956
Margaret 1873-?
Lillianne 1874- 1940
Robert 1876-1946
John 1877-1963
Eliza 1879-1961
Ellen 1882-?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 10:39 GMT (UK) »
William Buchanan, Beaufort. He arrived in Australia in 1856.  I think perhaps the photo was taken later, as he was born in 1832. Thank you kinkerswell for the information on Robert Buchanan.  This must be a relative. It is very late here and I must get the family to bed.  I will email tomorrow when I can.  Hope this photo goes through

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much cousin kingskerwell.  I hope this is alright to continue writing about Jane Buchanan's family on Robert Sherrard's site.  I do not know the etiquette of threads on Rootschat.

The Robert Buchanan born 1792-1840 at Magheramore would, in my considered opinion, be the brother of William Buchanan.  William was the father of Jane Buchanan who married Robert Sherrard.  I know that  William was born in Landaire.  His year of birth is around 1799, give or take 5 years either way. The name of your Robert's son Alexander is uncanny.  This Alexander died in 1920.  In 1920 in Australia, my GGrandfather Robert Buchanan (James' son) had a baby boy who lived only three weeks.  He named this baby Alexander.  No one else on the Australian side of the family has been named Alexander.

The names for Alexander Buchanan's children (Magheramore) all fit the names of Jane Buchanan's family. You may be aware that the Godmother of Robert Sherrard and Jane Buchanan's daughter Elizabeth was a Margaret Buchanan.  Also, on Robert and Jane's wedding certificate, a Robert Buchanan is the second witness.

I also have a baby named Margaret born to Robert and Eliza Buchanan of Magheramore on 26 October 1844.

I have searched my records and have the following dates for you.
-Birth Catherine Kane (Cairns) 4 March 1823, baptised 10 March 1823, Parish/District Glendermott (Church of Ireland, Father James Kane, mother Margaret McShane

-Marriage James Buchanan, Slaghtmanus to Catherine Kane, Listress, on 31 October 1851.  Father of James given as James Buchanan, Weaver. Father of Catherine, given as Michael.  James gives his profession as Smith (Blacksmith)

-Birth William James Buchanan (Catherine and James Buchanan's son), 1 January 1849, baptised 11 June 1849, Parish/District Glendermott, Church of Ireland. Parents given as James Buchanan and Martha Buchanan

-Death Catherine Cain (Kane) 11 August 1841, Sailor's Gully near Beaufort, Victoria aged 55 years from Dropsy
-Death James Buchanan 19 April 1915, Stawell Hospital, Victoria aged 96 from intestinal obstruction, toxaemia, heart failure

-Death William James Buchanan 9 December 1899, Magdala Mine, Stawell, Victoria aged 50 years, result of mining accident

-Marriage James Buchanan to Mary McGuire 20 April 1876, Beaufort, Victoria, Presbyterian Minister Alexander Adams. Witnesses: William Buchanan and Sarah Driver.  Married at a private home. James states that he is 38, born Londonderry, usual residence near Horsham.  James' parents listed as William Buchanan and Mary Norris.  Mary aged 17, daughter of John McGuire and Anne (Nancy) Agnew.  Mary gives her usual residence as Langi Kal Kal, occupation Domestic Duties

-The children of James and Mary Buchanan's marriage were:
Nancy Jane born Waterloo 1877 (Victorian BDM Cert. 12302)
Robert John born Waterloo 5 March 1879 (VBDM Cert. 12774)
Mary Elizabeth born Lexton 1881 (VBDM Cert. 10621)
John born Lexton 1883 he died young
Augusta born Waterloo 1889 (VBDM Cert. 36034
Herbert born 8 March 1891 Langi Kal Kal (VBDM Cert. 7848)  James' age stated as 62 on this certificate

Jane's brother William Buchanan married to Matilda Walton 20 June 1870 at the Lutheran Parsonage, Ballarat.  William listed as a Blacksmith aged 38, born Londonderry, parents William Buchanan and Mary Norris. Matilda aged 20, born Manchester, parents Thomas Walton and Sarah Napier.

I still can't locate the birth certificate of James Buchanan in Londonderry.  There is an extraordinary document which I located yesterday on the Norris family in Maghera Parish, Londonderry.  I am assuming this has something to do with Magheramore Road.  There are lots of Williams, James, Johns, Elizabeths etc named in this document.  I haven't had time to print it out and read it.  I think that this could give us some information about Jane and James' mother Mary Buchanan.  I will attach it now.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 02:55 GMT (UK) »
This is James Buchanan's grandson Alan Buchanan with his wife Ruby on their wedding day in 1916 in Cooroy, Queensland, Australia.  Alan looked very much like James Buchanan. This will give you an idea what James would have looked like when he was young.

Maybe, kingskerswell, you have seen it somewhere in your family.