Author Topic: Nolan Family  (Read 15764 times)

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nolan Family
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any connection to Michael Nolan born in Queens County in about 1870, this detail comes from the 1901 Census when he lived in Dalkey.

Want to find when he was born, his father also called Michael bur want to find details of mother.

He died in Liverpool in 1925 aged approx 55.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nolan Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Is this your Michael on the 1901 census ?

Nolan family, Sorrento Road, Dalkey

Have you found him on the 1911 census ?

This might give a more detailed place of birth for him, to narrow down your search in Co. Laois.

see :

Introduction to Irish Records

related topic for reference : Richard Altamont Smythe

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is that entry on the 1901 census, on the 1911 it simply says Co. Dublin. This was why I was trying a different route in trying to find information via his employment.

One of Michael Nolan's sons was William Patrick Nolan, he died in 1977 and is buried in his Mothers grave in Deansgrange Cemetry, mother's name was Mary Ann Nolan (formerly O'Toole), she died in 1913. Also buried in the grave is Williams wife Catherine.

Anything that can point me in the right direction of the correct family would be great.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Michael Nolan is a quite common name in the midlands, so there are a number of possible matches on the civil index.

There is a possibility in the extracted records on familysearch, but be aware that these records do not always cover all areas, so there could be other possible matches not included.

Name: Michael Nolan
 Birth Date: 31 Mar 1872
 Birthplace: Ballylinan, Queens County
 Father's Name: Michael Nolan
 Mother's Name: Mary Hart
 Ref No : 467

Note the location shown is probably the registrars district, and may not mean the town of the same name.

The reference number is the page number from the civil register and you can use this to search for the references needed to order a cert from the GRO. This would give more details (such as place of birth and father's occupation) to enable to check if this is the correct birth.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that but I know that record is not correct. As you say the name is common and I think the real break through will come when another family member recognises the details.

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Nolan born 1867 in Scotchrath Laois (Near Shanahoe) he married my grandmothers sister.

Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Are you aware of any brothers or sisters to John Nolan, the year may make John the brother of Michael Nolan who is my grandfather.

I think the parents were also called Michael Nolan and Jane Mooney but I cannot be 100% of that yet. If this is the same family I am aware of 4 other names for posiible brothers and sisters as well as Michael and perhaps John.

Angela

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Is the location right?

I am fairly sure I may have other information on John Nolan my primary focus was on his wife as she is my direct line.

Peter
Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Not sure of the location exactly as I am taking some details from the 1901 and 1911 census and from where I know some were born. My grandfather Michael Nolan shows he was born in Queens County which includes Laois.

Does this help?

Angela