Author Topic: Nolan Family  (Read 15755 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nolan Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Michael Nolan shows he was born in Queens County which includes Laois.

Queen's county is the old name for Co. Laois..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Shane

I am aware of that but not of the exact names of places within the county that the family originated from.

Hopefully Peter may have extra clues.

Angela

Offline PJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Angela

Scotchrath is in the Abbeyliex area of Queens County

When my Grandmothers sister was first married to John Nolan they lived in house 24  Shanahoe (Clash Queens Co) go onto google and have a look at Shanahoe Laois

Leix Laois and Queens are the same name of the county used at different times

In 1901 there is a Jane Nolan 62 and her 2 sons James 29 and Martin 23 living in Scotchrath
Butler, Delaney, Phelan Gaffney, Nolan, Colman in Ireland

Watson, Nobbs, Page, Shorten in England

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 March 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Not sure this is same family as Jane is shown as a widow, I would have expected the father of the Michael Nolan I am looking for to be alive then.

Angela

Offline JoannaNolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 February 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I have both o'toole's and nolans in my family my grandfather was a William Joesph Nolan and he married kathleen robinson. His mother was Mary Cavanagh.  My great grandmother on kathleen Robinson's side, was a kathleen o'toole who married Patrick Robinson.  Hope this helps

Offline AMN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 February 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you any dates for the names you mention as the period I am aware of is around 1890 onwards?

I have a Michael Nolan (c1870-1925) married to a Mary Ann OToole (c1864-1913) one of their children was a William Patrick Nolan (1895-1977) who married a Catherine.

Any connection?

Angela

Offline nk1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 February 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Here is my contribution to the Nolan family:

Julia Nolan b May 1819 in Ardfert, Co Kerry, Ireland & 1872 in Mountmellck, Co Laois, Ireland.  She married Denis Fitzpatrick and bore at least one child (I sure there are more) Denis D Fitzpatrick in October 1835.

I'd love to hear from other Nolan relatives.  :-)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 October 14 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I am just going to look over this thread to see where we stand !

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 October 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela

I'm not getting any great leads I'm afraid.

Michael Junior's age is the main stumbling block.

In 1901 he says that he was 33 giving him an approx birth year of 1867.

Given that our civil registration began in 1864 it's a tight timeline ~ It was nearly 1900 before it was common everyday practice.

It's also possible that he was older ie born pre 1864 which means we wouldn't get a birth cert at all.

I know he says that he was younger on the 1911 Census but I'm more inclined to go by an earlier census (when we are younger our memory is better  ;D).

Land Steward for his father's occupation I thought would through up some good leads but nothing so far.

It's possible that this may have only been his occupation for a while, he could have been a farmer too.

Land Stewards sometimes move with their landlord to other areas that needed attention so again another possible stumbling block.

One thing I noticed was that you were discounting a family based on that you would have imagined that Michael Senior was still alive in 1901.

Michael Junior was born in and around 1867 ~ it's possible that his father could have died the following year ~ who knows ?

Also, with country Irish families you need to, in general, work on the men being a bit older than their wives. Not a hard rule but a general guide.

The County Men I have found to be more in their late 30's early 40's when getting married to a late teen / early twenties girl.

Also, Michael Junior could have been the youngest of the family which pushes our timeline back much further.

Sorry not to have any great leads for you but I'm just trying to explain why you may be finding it so hard to find records.

If I come across anything I shall let you know !

Tara