Author Topic: JOHN family Bettws  (Read 9009 times)

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHN family Bettws
« on: Monday 03 January 11 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all I am looking for any info on the JOHN family from Bettws near Maesteg / Bridgend. In particular LLEWELLYN JOHN which seems to be the given name for 4 generations. There were many siblings within the generations such as EVAN, ELVIRA,THOMAS,MARTHA & TYDFELL (may have been twins)CHRISTOPHER, HENRY,CATHERINE,MARY if you have any JOHN's in your family tree from that area PLEASE let me know. Also would anyone know the following - In 1861 family showing in SYTTY BETTWS would this be the village? In 1841 showing CITY UCHA? In 1851 showing TANNERDY? Also in 1901 showing BRYNHANLOG CITY BETTWS?
Any suggestions or ideas would be apprieiated

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN family Bettws
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill, Bettws isn't a particularly big village, and I'm pretty certain that most of it is 1950's council housing at the moment (although it's been a little while since I've been through there).

There are a lot of farms and small hamlets in the area. I do wonder whether Sytty should actually be Shwt. National Archives do have a listing for Cityissia in Bettws though??

Regarding City Ucha, there is (was?) a farm called Shwt Uchaf there as well. National Archives have the most probable spelling as Cityuwcha.

Tannerdy does appear to be the correct spelling - National Archives have it listed in the Bettws area for the 1851 census returns

I suspect that a lot of these places may well no longer exist - not the most helpful reply I know
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
thanks any reply is helpfull as i am new to this family tree researching.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:27 GMT (UK) »
gill10,
Welcome to Rootschat.
Have managed to find "City" and "City Ganol" on an 1884 Ordnance Survey Map. They are close together, separated on the map by a Unitarian Church.

The description of the present St David's Church, Bettws states "there is a place of worship for Unitarians". You can find it on Street View at the junction of Heol Dewi Sant and Betws Rd. 

The "City Ganol" is interesting. "Ganol" = middle - but no sign of the "Uchaf" (higher) or "Isaf" (lower) that might go with it. Suspect "City" only is one of them

Yet to check for Tannerdy

regards   

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Rechecking old map for Tannerdy and found St David's Church, Bettws marked on it. Not the site of my Unitarian one but helps pinpoint it on the modern map. It's South of St Davids.

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 January 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Using google search/street view come south along the Betws road to the junction with Tudor Drive (ploughed field on left).
Just below the ploughed field is junction with a road (unnamed) to the left - but which can't be navigated by street view (in spite of the usual indicators).

To the left is "City" according to the old map.. The house at this junction to the right of Betws Rd wd appear to be "City Ganol".

Can anyone confirm if there was once (or still is) a Chapel at this spot?

regards   

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello  :)

According to Genuki, City was a hamlet of Bettws:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Bettws/

Kind regards
Morgan

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I'd seen that.
I'm just trying to relate the location of "City/City Ganol" on the 1884 OS map with the modern Google image

regards

Offline MarkLlewellyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 September 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled across this with my Auntie and Uncle here today as we were looking for the church where Llewellyn and Mary John are buried. I had already visited the Church and City Ganol Farm.

One of Llewellyn and Mary's children was John John who emigrated to Australia and changed his name to John Johns. He is my Great Great Grandfather.

St Davids Church in Bettws is where Llewellyn and Mary are buried and I do even have more information if this is still wanted. The farm was sold a few years ago and I think the old farm house may be demolished now, though I did see it still there in 2005 and not far from there are John family decendents still in Bettws.

I live near Aberdare now (moved from Australia in 2006) and would like to visit the church again to check on old records and surely would enjoy company if any decendents of Llewellyn and Mary would like to join me :D

The attached pic is me next to there graves :)

Peace, Mark.