Author Topic: JOHN family Bettws  (Read 9047 times)

Offline rarebit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN family Bettws
« Reply #18 on: Friday 21 October 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill ......I have Johns in my family from Bettws but not the ones you named ,they were farmers they farmed Moelgilau ,but I have the booklet for St Davids Church and have found a lot of your family in it ,have you got it? if not you can get it from Glamorgan F.H.S ..............Marion
Devonald Maddock Thomas Edwards Barwick Groom Keene                                                                            Pembrokeshire Maesteg Bridgend Caernarvon Somerset Norfolk Wiltshire

Offline gill10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 November 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Marion. It seems to be that John was a popular surname in the Bettws area.

Offline Eryl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 April 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill
I just found your request for info on the John family while looking for my cousins post code.  She sold City Farm a few years ago to property developers who intended building on the land, the builders ran into financial difficulties and sadly the farm burnt down.  However my cousin still lives nearby and she is a descendant of Llewellyn John.  She was born in City Farm.  Please send me a personal message if you need any more details. 
My father has now reminded me of a conversation he had with Uncle Henry about the origins of the farm name, Uncle Henry said that the name "City" had derived from "Saith Ty" as there were once seven houses in that area.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Eryl  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Rarebit has been on here this week but Gill has not been on since January. However, if she has the same email address, she will receive a notification of your post, and hopefully will reply soon.

Once you have made 3 postings on here you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) facility to exchange information privately with other members.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline ebridge14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled across this with my Auntie and Uncle here today as we were looking for the church where Llewellyn and Mary John are buried. I had already visited the Church and City Ganol Farm.

One of Llewellyn and Mary's children was John John who emigrated to Australia and changed his name to John Johns. He is my Great Great Grandfather.

St Davids Church in Bettws is where Llewellyn and Mary are buried and I do even have more information if this is still wanted. The farm was sold a few years ago and I think the old farm house may be demolished now, though I did see it still there in 2005 and not far from there are John family decendents still in Bettws.

I live near Aberdare now (moved from Australia in 2006) and would like to visit the church again to check on old records and surely would enjoy company if any decendents of Llewellyn and Mary would like to join me :D

The attached pic is me next to there graves :)

Peace, Mark.

I know this is an old post, just hopefully some John family descendants might see it!
I too am descended from John John, who changed his name to Johns, in Australia. However my research indicates his parents were John John and Mary Edwards. If anyone has any information that could confirm or deny this I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Ricardian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 April 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Something else to think about. One of my ancestors was named Rees Jones and I also had his parents names in a family Bible but couldn't find anything on them. Then someone suggested that they could have changed their name from John to Jones. This is what had happened and incidentally they lived near Bettws too. I don't think it is the same family.
Rickards, Gower, Eynon, Davies, Jones/John, Williams, Phillips,Hillier,Hawker,Maddocks.