Author Topic: 1841/1851/1861 census lookup- Ann Scott, born 1797 Glasgow  (Read 2244 times)

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841/1851/1861 census lookup- Ann Scott, born 1797 Glasgow
« on: Monday 03 January 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could do me a huge favour and see if they can find my Ann Scott, single, born 1797 Glasgow. Her parents were William and Janet Scott, but I am unsure of when they died. According to death certificates, her father William was a 'master wright' and he was supposedly a burgess of Glasgow.

I am stumped as to why I can't find her on any of these censuses. She appears on 1871 census with her widowed sister Isabella Stirling at 248 Gallowgate, Glasgow, and in 1881 at Duke Street with her niece Janette Hart. She died at this Duke Street address in August 1881.

I thought I had found her in 1851 at 37 Garnet Hill St, but then realised this Ann Scott was born in England and is listed as a widow. The same lady also appears in 1861 with the same details, so I feel these aren't one-off mistakes disguising my Ann Scott.

Any help at all would be fantastic. I have hit a brickwall with William Scott, but feel there must be more to discover, especially as he was a burgess. My hope is that Ann may provide more clues if I can locate her on earlier censuses!

Many thanks,

Sophie

Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851/1861 census lookup- Ann Scott, born 1797 Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:08 GMT (UK) »
What evidence do you have that he was a burgess?

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi sancti,thanks for your reply.

I was lucky enough to find a book of memoirs written by Ann's great-niece, Robina Thorburn Ralston. In it she goes into great detail about her ancestry.

She talks about 'Aunt Ann' living in a flat in Gallowgate  with 'Aunt Belle' (Isabella),  and says 'their father was one of the first burgesses of the city of Glasgow. He owned a great deal of property in the city and was wealthy, but out of kindness to a friend for whom he signed a bond he lost most of his wealth so that his daughters Aunt Ann and Aunt Belle had only a small income which he left them, saved form the wreck.'

I was (and still am!) a bit unsure as to what a burgess was, and questioned this detail, but every other detail in the book about this family has turned out to be correct. Although he isn't mentioned by name in the book I know Ann and Belle's father was definitely called William Scott, as I have various baptism/death records showing this.

Sophie

Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I found mention of a William Scott, wright, burgess here but a bit too early

http://www.ayrshireroots.com/Genealogy/Reference/plague.htm

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sancti. If only it was a century or so later, that looks really good! I wonder if there could be a link though...
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline oldcumnock70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Sophie, I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but I'm researching the Scott family on Ancestry, my tree is Ellis family tree

I have been unable to find Gavin Scott' wife Elizabeth Allan's death, I am sure she died between 1871 and 1877, the last date being her youngest son Robert's death, but where she died is a mystery, I have thought that she must have moved to live with one of her married daughters, maybe in England

Ann Scott, single person the sister of Gavin Scott, left a will and she died 1 August 1881 at 388 Duke Street Glasgow - her parents were William Scott and Janet Cunningham, I have no information on this couple other than Ann's birth which was 26 June 1797

this is the 1871 census for Ann
248 Gallowgate
Registration Number 644/4 Registration district Calton

Ann Scott 73 annuitant  born Glasgow
Isabella Stirling 77
Isabella Scott 24

Census 1881  644/3
388 Duke St Glasgow St John Dennistoun RD

James Hart 42
Janette Hart 41
William James Hart 13
Gavin Scott Hart 12
Annie Hart  9
Archibald Dewar Hart  7
Mary Lyle Hart  6
George Paterson Hart  5
Janette Hart  1
Ann Scott 83 aunt  annuitant b Glasgow

I hope this helps , - I have still a lot to look for with this family - it started with James Miller who comes down this line through his mother, James committed suicide in 1956, like wise William scott also died by Hanging in1886
Marlyn

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 April 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Scotlands People birth and a baptism for her lists William as a wright.  On her death registration at 318 Duke St. it lists her father as a master wright. 

If he was a Burgess or someone holding property there would be a will and an announcement of his death (newspapers).

The Mitchell Library has a list of the Glasgow Burgess, if you email them they can tell you if he was one and might have a bio on him as well. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.