Author Topic: 1861 look up  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Stevesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 look up
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 21:35 BST (UK) »
Could someone look to see if John Leabrook appears in the Jersey 1861 census please ?

John Leabrook was born in St Albans Jersey and was about 24 in the 1871 census where he was married and living in Cornwall.

His father was also named John Leabrook.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Stevesa

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi -

I had a look through the 1851 and 1861 census indexes for John Leabrook, but there was nothing like it.

However, a bit of lateral thinking suggested that maybe, if he had a Jersey name, it might be difficult for the English census enumerator in 1871.  So I looked up John Le Brocq  (It sounds just like 'Leabrook' with a Jersey accent).  It's quite a common name in Jersey, and I have looked in the parish of St Brelade, which is where the town of St Aubin it located.

There are five John Le Brocq's, in the age range, named in 1851 - but only one born in St Brelade (St Aubin) with a father called John:

LE BROCQ
John  Head  36  shoemaker  Jersey  St Peter
Nancy  38  wife  Jersey St Martin
Edward  13  son  scholar   St Peter
Charlotte  9  daug    "       St Ouen
Mary Ann   7  daug    "           "
Harriet M  5   daug     "          "
Esther    3     daug     "          "
John 1       son      St Brelade

This would make John jnr born circa 1850  - is that likely?  Do any of the family names fit with other information?

In 1861 I think I have the same family -
LE BROCQ
John    Head  46  Farmer   St Brelade (?)
Ann   [is Nancy a corruption of Ann?]   48  St Martin
John son 11 St Brelade
Louiza [sic]  5   St Martin
Eliza  3   St Brelade

Of course this could all be barking up the wrong family tree - but does any of it sound feasible?

Mike E

Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Stevesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 look up
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 05 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Mike E,

It does sound very feasible, unfortunately other family names don`t match up with any mentioned apart from John, as John jnrs children seemed to be named after his wifes family in Cornwall.

I would hope that maybe this is the right family tree, but without further information i cannot be positive.

The  doubt i have is concerning John jnrs age, in the 1871 census he was 24, in  1881 he was 34, but in the 1891 census he`d jumped to 55 and in 1901 he was 62. I know ages can vary from census to census, but with the name possibly changing as well this make it very difficult to be certain if this is the right family.

If you have any ideas concerning  further information that may be available i would be very greatfull for any help.

Once again thanks very much for your help

Stevesa