Author Topic: Edward Donaldson/Peter McArthur  (Read 2223 times)

Offline AlexWood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Donaldson/Peter McArthur
« on: Monday 03 January 11 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how adoptions and name changes worked in the mid C19?

My Great Grandfather is Peter McArthur and according to my mum no-one in the family knew much about him...and now I'm not surprised.

His death certificate from 1914 says his father was Peter McArthur and his mother was Mary McArthur MS Donaldson.

His Marriage Certificate of 1895 says father the same and mother Isabella McArthur MS Gillespie.

The 1881 Census has them living in Smarts Court, St Ninians and  the head of the household is Isabella (Peter Snr died in 1878) with one son Thomas Gillespie and Peter as an adopted son.

So I went looking for a Peter McArthur and found one born on Islay 9th Feb 1864. He seemed a good candidate being the illegitimate son of a Mary McArthur.

Then I checked the 1871 census and found the McArthur family but no sign of young Peter. Instead they have an Edward Donaldson living with them as an adopted son. He was born illegitimate in Stirling to Mary Donaldson in February 1863.

My gut feel is that Edward is my ancestor and had his name changed but is there anywhere I can check that?

Oh yeah, there is no sign of Peter Snr ever marrying Mary Donaldson his death cert just lists an Isabella Gilles then Isabella Gillespie.

I hope the relationships are clear but if you want to know anything just ask.