Author Topic: clyne family - menmuir angus  (Read 7336 times)

Offline JaneMBain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: clyne family - menmuir angus
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 June 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I’ve spent a fair amount of time researching the Clyne family in Menmuir. From what I’ve found all of the Clynes in the Angus/Forfarshire area are related in some shape of form to James Clyne (schoolmaster) and Isabella Irvine. I descend from them via son John and his wife Elizabeth Balfour. I have a few Helen Clynes in my tree but none unfortunately in the timeframe you mention. I do though perhaps have some information on the male Clynes who could be potential fathers if you have more information about Helen?
As to the naming on her death certificate I wouldn’t take anything from that. It’s more likely that whoever registered the birth simply named the people he/she thought were Helen’s parents, ie mother and husband not knowing that the husband was not actually Helen’s father. The marriage certificate is more reliable given that Helen was actually around to give the information herself.

Kind regards
Jane
Duncan, Clyne in the Angus areas, Bain in the Cromarty area. Other interests Baird, Macfarlane, Weir. All Scotland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 June 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm.

There does seem to be a slight shortage of potential fathers in the 1861 census in Menmuir. Only two male Clynes old enough to have fathered a child in autumn 1863, both apparently married.

James Clyne, 57; Agnes Clyne, 50, and two children in ED1, page 5, and James Clyne, 36; Jane Clyne, 33 and 5 children in ED2, page 10.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cowiedavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Jane & Forfarian
Thanks for your reply.
Helen was born in Menmuir on 9 August 1864 to Christina Anderson and no named spouse. Registered as illegitimate by her mother Christina. She was born at the Mill of Balrownie, halfway between Menmuir and Brechin where her mother's father was a blacksmith.
In the 1871 census, the first after her birth she was listed as Helen Clyne.
In the 1881 census, she was listed as Helen Cline, a domestic servant for Walter & Isabella Duncan.
I have not got her in the 1891 census as yet.
She married Randall Scott in Lethnot & Navar Parish on 14 Dec 1894 and signed as Ellen Anderson.
On birth/marriage/deaths of all her children she is named as Helen Anderson on the registrations.
She died in 1944 and was named as Helen Anderson on the registration.
Helen's mother, Christina is listed in the 1851/61/71 at the family home which was the smithy house at Balrownie.
I have done a lot of searching and cannot find any evidence about the father.
My guess is that it probably was one of the Clyne males but it cannot be proven unless a DNA test is done of any Clyne descendants.

Thanks for your interest
David
Stephen - Kincardineshire, Scott - Angus and Kincardineshir, Gove - Kincardineshire, Young - Perthshire, Whyte - Angus, Darge - West Lothian, Ramsay - Angus, Binnie -West Lothian, Anderson - Kincardineshire, Adams - Kincardineshire.

Offline Cowiedavid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 October 20 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all, an update to my search for Helen Clyne Anderson's father has been resolved. One of my second cousins was able to get a parish register document that has been found by the people at OldScottish.com which states that David Clyne acknowledges his paternity. He was in Wales at the time of the documents in 1865. I cannot find him in any 1861 census. Thanks all for the suggestions.   
Stephen - Kincardineshire, Scott - Angus and Kincardineshir, Gove - Kincardineshire, Young - Perthshire, Whyte - Angus, Darge - West Lothian, Ramsay - Angus, Binnie -West Lothian, Anderson - Kincardineshire, Adams - Kincardineshire.

Offline embla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 October 20 13:13 BST (UK) »

William Clyne, Circa 1847 - 1932
William Clyne was born on month day 1847, at birth place, to James CLYNE and Agnes CLYNE (born Grubb).
James was born Circa December 30 1802, in Menmuir, Angus.
Agnes was born circa 1811, in Leith.
William had 10 siblings: Alexander Grubb Clyne, Mary Ann Burns (born Clyne) and 8 other siblings.
William married Isabella Clyne (born Keith) on month day 1877, at age 30 at marriage place.
Isabella was born on September 17 1850, in Stracathro.
They had 8 children: William Clyne, Don Keith Clyne and 6 other children.
William lived in 1881, at address.
His occupation was occupation.
William passed away on month day 1932, at age 84 at death place.
Documents of William Clyne
William clyne
William Clyne in Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
William Clyne was born on month day 1847, to James Clyne and Agnes Grubb.
William was baptized on month day 1847, at baptism place.

https://www.myheritage.com/names/william_clyne