Author Topic: Edward Evans  (Read 4127 times)

Offline 60skid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Evans
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Edward Evans was born in Trefeglwys in 1851.No one has been able to find out much about him.He came to New Zealand in 1873.He named three of his children using Pugh as their middle names.I think that this is the link to finding who his parents are.Perhaps there was a special person in his life with the surname Pugh or maybe this was his mothers maiden name or his fathers name. Also one of his children was name Argoed...I think that this name may be linked to Trefeglwys as well.Have research him for years but to no avail

Offline 60skid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Evans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Edward Evans was born in Trefeglwys in 1851.No one has been able to find out much about him.He came to New Zealand in 1873.He named three of his children using Pugh as their middle names.I think that this is the link to finding who his parents are.Perhaps there was a special person in his life with the surname Pugh or maybe this was his mothers maiden name or his fathers name. Also one of his children was name Argoed...I think that this name may be linked to Trefeglwys as well.Have research him for years but to no avail

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you not know the name of the father from a marriage cert.?

You should note that there were a lot of non-conformists in this area. So it would probably be easiest to order all matching birth certificates.

Only entry in the parish register is:

Edward Evans, s. of Jane Evans, singlewoman, of Utra, bpt. 7 Mar 1850 @ Trefeglwys P. Church

However, if you do a search for Edward Evans, b.c. 1851, Trefeglwys in the 1851 census, you will find an Edward, son of John of Elizabeth Evans. They are living at Rhydygwide, which is near Argoed.

The family is still there in 1871 and 1881, then in 1891, the father has moved elsewhere with an imbecile son.

Seems he died intestate.

A bpt. for a sister:

Margaret, d. of John Evans, farmer, of Rhydygwidde & Elizabeth, bpt. 28 mar 1849 @ Trefeglwys P. Church

Offline 60skid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 11 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David...I don't know his fathers name.His first child was named Evan born 1873 in NZ.It is really hard piecing together information about him as Edward died aged 40 and records here in NZ are not complete.Interesting note however...may/may not be related.Ann Swancott b 1742 heiress of Argoed remarried to an Evan Evans...perhaps a link!Will have to keep digging.Can't find any more info about this marriage ie children etc

Offline Wayne Evans

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 16 18:54 BST (UK) »
If you are talking about Edward Thomas Evans, Evangelist I have information on him in my family tree.  He is my great great grandfather and I had a researcher work on it.  I have his marriage certificate if it is the same one. He was born in Llanwog in1828 and his son in 1852 in Llandinam, died in Dunedin NZ.  I am a NZer.