Author Topic: John Doral Denman  (Read 8114 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Doral Denman
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
There are actually several John Doral (or alternative spellings) Denmans in Lincs at various times.

Im not related, Im doing this out of interest of the Denmans later  family history living in the parish of Brothertoft. But have seen several times on various messageboards people searching for this person and I thought Id post here what I believe I have found because it may be of use to someone else.

John Doral Denman b.cir 1799 "Authorn Hill" according to the census. There is as far as I am aware, no such place. John Doral Denman married Mildred Hall in 1828 at Coningsby, and his eldest son Joseph was baptised there a year later.

Its my belief that John Doral Denman came from a tiny hamlet called "Hawthorn Hill" located by Dogdyke, just south of Coningsby. At the turn of the 1800s there was no parish church at Chapel Hill or Dogdyke, so the nearest churches would have been Coningsby or Tattershall.

I thought it was interesting to note that in 1797 a Joseph Denman married Ann Riggall. They had some children baptised at Coningsby according to the IGI/FREEReg but I have not found John. Hopefully, its a good pointer in the right direction.

I do have info on later Denman family of Brothertoft if anyones interested.

Good luck to anyone seaching.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Doral Denman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
A couple of entries in my marriage index

1761 Spalding, Dorril DENMAN/Mary KITCHIN
1785 Saxilby, Derril DENMAN/Sarah WILLSON

They are both in the IGI ... if you think of those spellings :)

No DORAL/DORRIL/DERRIL marriage in my index, I don't think it's a Lincs surname.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

yeah I found those theres something going on there with the continual ref to "Dorel" (and alternative spellings) as a middle name. It goes on for generations and includes a fair few with Dorell (etc) as a first name.

From what Ive been able to come up with so far, it seems that it goes back to the mid 1600s when a Denman-Dorrel marriage took place, and its been remembered by the famiy. This family began a hospital in East Retford Notts, and died out. But there were "kin" in Torksey and Saxilby, near Lincoln. I would suggest tentatively thats where the link lies, but at the moment the concrete link escapes me.

As prev mentioned Im not related - although my dad went to school at Brothertoft with a direct descendant. My main reason for posting tonight has been to clear up the misinterpretation of placename "Authorn Hill" on the census, which has lead several people researching this family awry. My hope is to help them find their way from here (although Id certainly like the info too!).
Thanks x

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
My main reason for posting tonight has been to clear up the misinterpretation of placename "Authorn Hill"

We've had fun with that place before :) http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,83601.msg439580.html#msg439580

Only in Lincs could a place 12 feet above sea level be called a hill!
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
aye and wouldnt it be hard to climb!!  :D

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
My main reason for posting tonight has been to clear up the misinterpretation of placename "Authorn Hill" on the census, which has lead several people researching this family awry. My hope is to help them find their way from here (although Id certainly like the info too!).
Thanks x

Try "Hawthorn Hill". If you go on Google maps and ask for directions from Coningsby, it's only 1.9 miles away  ;)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks it only reinforces my own belief.

(re-read the thread ;) )

Offline Graham GD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Further to the "Dorrel" subject=This is a very common middle name among Denmans and the reason can be found on Nottinghamshire History site.
Search for Retford and you will find "The History of The Olde Hall of the Manor of West Retford"

The three principal families were the Hercys,Denmans and Darrels.

Ann Denman married a Darrel in Retford (hence the name in various spellings).Their grandaughter married King James 2nd and two of their daughters became queens=Mary 2nd and Anne.

Offline Black cat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi my name Liz Denman. I'm a direct relation to the Denmans at Hawthorne Hill. I'm fact I live about 15 miles away. My aunt is called Barbara  Dorrell  Denman. As you can see we haven't moved vary far in the last few Hundred years