Author Topic: Argoed Fawr, near Talybont, Aberystwyth  (Read 7035 times)

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argoed Fawr, near Talybont, Aberystwyth
« on: Wednesday 05 January 11 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in a farm called "Argoed Fawr" near Talybont, Aberystwyth.  Today the postal address is Llandre; in the 19th Century it was in Cynnullmawr, Llanfihangel Genau'r Glyn.   My husband's Great-Great Grandfather, John Jones (1785-1863), lived there from 1822, when his eldest daughter, Elizabeth,  was baptised in Llanfihangerl Genau'r Glyn, and was recorded as living at Argoed Fawr, and he and his family lived in Argoed Fawr in the 1841, 51 and 61 Census and he died there in 1863; his son, John Jones (1828-1872) lived there in 1841-1871 and died there, unmarried in 1872.  I have seen his will, which makes no mention of Argoed Fawr. In the 1881 and 1891 Census, the occupant of Argoed Fawr was a farmer called Isaac Davies, about whom I know nothing, but in 1901,  the Census showed the occupant to be John Williams and his family. I know that John Williams (1854-1914)  (also known as John Morgan Williams) was the son of John Williams (b. 1817) and his wife Elizabeth (Eliza) (b. 1822)  who was the daughter of John Jones of Argoed Fawr. John and Eliza lived from their marriage in 1843 (in the parish church of Llanfihangel Geanau'r Glyn) in Cynnullmawr.  John was described as a lead miner/ag. lab. Their son, John (or John Morgan) Williams and his wife, Elizabeth Jane nee Evans were recorded as living in "Cwmslaidfach", Llancynfelin, in the 1881 and 1891 Census, when John was a lead miner, but in 1901 they were living in Argoed Fawr, with six children and a grandson, and  John is described as a farmer. They were also living in Argoed Fawr in the 1911 Census, with two children and Grandson.    I am intrigued to know more about the ownership/tenancy of Argoed Fawr.  In 1872 John Jones died there, leaving no children (he never married). In the 1881 and 1891 Census the occupant of Argoed Fawr was Isaac Davies, and   John Williams was a lead miner living in "Cwmslaidfach".  How then did John Williams come to be living in Argoed Fawr in 1901, how did he progress from being a lead miner in 1881 and 1891 to being a substantial farmer in 1901 and 1911?  And is it relevant that Argoed Fawr had  previously  been occupied by his Grandfather, John Jones,  and uncle, John Jones? If anyone knows anything about the history of this farm, or the Jones family who lived there from 1822 to 1872 or Williams family, who lived there in 1901 and 1911 I would be very grateful to have more information.
Thanks.  :) Abersleuth

Offline malval

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Argoed Fawr, near Talybont, Aberystwyth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
My husband's father was the grandchild of John Williams Argoed Fawr born to Dorothy Catherine Williams (1892-1977).My father in law was born at Argoedfawr in 1916 John Gwesyn he died young in 1952 .
I have further information on his brothers and sisters.
Hope this information is of use . malval

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear malval
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any information about John Williams of Argoed Fawr (your husband's great grandfather?).  I want to establish whether he was the son of John Williams (b. 1817) and Eliza (nee Jones), in which case he was a distant cousin of my late husband,  or whether he was a different John Williams (it was a common name!).  I have made contact through ancestry.co.uk with two people who are descended from John Williams of Argoed Fawr, so your husband must be related to them. Do you want their contact details?  Abersleuth

Offline malval

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information but I have Elizabeth as  nee EVANS I had the information from their daughter  BIRTH CERTIFICATE DATED 1892 AND ADDRESS WAS ARGOEDFAWR
Iwould be greteful for the other contacts  you have on this family
Diolch yn fawr

Offline malval

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Iwas in the wrong generation with the John Williams

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 11 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Dear malval

I have just contacted your two "relatives" I found through ancestry.co.uk and hope to let you have their e-mails shortly. Meanwhile, I will continue my own research on John Williams to see if your husband and mine share ancestors. Abersleuth.  :)

Offline malval

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 February 11 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I was wondering if you knew where John Williams (b 1817) lived? and where did his son JOHN WILLIAMS(b 1854) and his wife ELIZABETH JANE NEE EVANS was married??
malval :) :)

Offline malval

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:35 GMT (UK) »
You had me thinking why John Williams became to farm Argoed Fawr ? something to do with the  Pryse  who had the estate of Gogerddan in Penrhyncoch . Has some of the farm land been used for th Gorddu Wind Farm which is now very near Argoed Fawr??
Have been doing some homework Issac Davies in 1871 census was a servant at Penybank  Trefeurig with a John Rowlands who was a farmer, married to a Rebecca and Isaac married their daughter Anne at Aberystwyth in 1872 they had a daughter Rebecca  born in 1873
Hope  this information is of some use
malval 8)

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic! This may be the clue I have been seeking.  I cannot do more work on this for a day or two - other commitments - but I will be busy next week and will get back to you.  :D