Author Topic: I did'nt know this!!  (Read 37771 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
I did'nt know this!!
« on: Friday 15 April 05 01:56 BST (UK) »
The following is taken from a posting in this morning's  soc.genealogy.britain newsgroup.

"What you may not be aware of is that the GOONS site does not list all
surnames that have been registered by a researcher that is no longer
subscribing to GOONS.
Sadly this in this sort of situation GOONS has seen fit not to be seen
to be helping other researchers by listing on line all surnames that
have been registered.

IMHO maybe it is time for a site that lists all surnames that have been
registered with GOONS that they no longer list due to no subscription or
maybe it is time GOONS lowered their subscription so that it is more
affordable to subscribe and research at the same time especially for
those that are international researchers and not based in England.

Yes I am one of those that registered a surname that is no longer listed
due to the fact that I felt it was better to spend my money of research
than spend it on the subscription.
Happy Ancestor hunting.
David."

I must confess that I tend very much to agree with the writer's sentiments
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I did'nt know this!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 05 02:39 BST (UK) »
Joboy,
thanks for that info,as a reconnaisance minded person,I've spent a long time sussing things jeanie logical out,not at all impressed with the minions of authority charged with +paid for,record keeping.
On the other hand not too pleased with ancestors who are prone to obfuscation!!
Were it not for this, and other similar open handed sites,and the people who freely and cheerfully provide info   and support, my poor efforts would have withered on the vine!
                 Cheers,Goggy

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 05 08:15 BST (UK) »
While I can empathise with the views expressed  I do so with some caution.

Creating and maintaining a web site no matter how small can be costly and unless you have a dedicated band willing to give freely of time and resources you then have no option but to levy some kind of charge.

In the beginnings of many organisations/groups the willingness is there but as time progresses and people move on/ interests expand the volunteer aspect often disappears (practical experience  :( )

While the first writer calls for a site listing names no longer listed with GOONS who would maintain that site and pay for its upkeep ? .... Unfortunately it is a sad world we live in and very few people are willing to go that extra step to help someone else.
(I of course exclude all rootschatters from that  ;D )

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 June 07 15:44 BST (UK) »
But if they continued to list the names, and there would be no one to contact, the lister having withdrawn, it may well encourage others interested in the name to join and subscribe in an effort to contact the 'old' member assuming they are still around.
My twopenn'orth.
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 10 09:00 GMT (UK) »
... and as I have recently found out, the person who was doing a One Name Study that I was interested in, has departed this world  ::) :( ... how sad that nobody has "taken over" this wonderful job.  All his wonderful work gone to pot.

I feel that it's now up to me to do it but I don't have access to that deceased person's (valuable) information.  I'm starting from scratch, literally, and what astonishes me is the number of people that I contact with THAT particular surname ... some are helpful but most are NOT INTERESTED ... !!!!!!!!!!, thinking that I have an ulterior motive. :o :o :o ::) ::)  I rest my case !!!   

CP
BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 10 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Possibly an answer might be to try to persuade the SOG to separately list all those names which have been deregistered as being deregistered and now available for reregistration by the first appropriate applicant on payment of the usual fee. This would I think solve the problem.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 02:17 BST (UK) »
I am not a member of the Guild of One Name Studies preferring to muddle through on my own.
The names TUTCHIN;TUTCHINand similar have been a concentration for several years as they do crop up at different periods in my family history.
redroger provided me with a link http://www.taliesin-arlein.net/names/ which opened my eyes with the following result;
Checking the 1881 census there were only 5 families comprising a total of 22 individuals with the name 'TUTCHINGS' and four of which the 'Heads' were born in Yeovil Somerset and the 5th in Petherton Somerset which places are only seven miles apart.
There were no TUTCHIN or TUTCHEN families at all in the 1881 census.
I thought that I would add this to perhaps stimulate more interest in the disappearance of family names ......... from what I see the names may have died out but the lines lived on with new surnames which have arisen because of better understanding of spelling and pronunciation due to better education.
In my one name study I have recorded the following Tutchin and variations;
1586 to 1901 there are 1767 in Somerset
1547 to 1759 there are 422 in Bucks
1557 to 1751 there are 395 in Devon
and after the end dates shown above the names slowly changed within the various families which I find fascinating and worthy of more research.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline seank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 September 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
I've got to say, I came across this thread and thought the comment from the soc.genealogy.britain group sounded slightly disingenuous. People will cease to subscribe to the G.O.O.N.S. for a variety of reasons, not all of them because they have decided to go it alone or become dissatisified with the Guild. People may also have competing family or job commitments, suffer ill health, lose interest ...or die. A lot of the one-name-studies no longer listed may no longer exist.

G.O.O.N.S. members are encouraged to make provision for the eventuality they can no longer continue their study. Some of them do, some of them evidently don't. Unfortunately that may mean that many years of information and research is lying gathering dust. I've seen reports of some members depositing their research with the S.O.G., but some whose deaths have been recently announced, well, let's hope someone, somewhere, takes over the passion.

I'm not a spokesperson for GOONS. In fact I hesitated in joining for a long time. I eventually joined because I found their resources, tailored for my specific type of study, extremely useful. In comparison with the time and expense involved with genealogy the £15 subscription is quite bearable.

KISBY, KISBEE, KISBEY - All areas
KISBY, BAINES - Isle of Ely, Lincolnshire, Northants.
FOVARGUE, BLUNT - Isle of Ely
TAYLOR - Lancashire (Rochdale)
Guild of One-name Studies Membership (KISBY/KISBEE) #5000

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 September 11 18:51 BST (UK) »
If it has not already been asked I pose the question "How would the GOONs respond to a question whether a specific surname had in fact been registered with them at any time?"
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)