Author Topic: PAUL surname origins of?  (Read 14924 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PAUL surname origins of?
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there all!
I have a couple of questions on the Paul family from the Paul,Newlyn and Mousehole and surrounding areas and im hoping someone may be able to help
Firstly let me explain my connections to the Paul family
  My GGG Grandparents were married in Newlyn st Peters in 1866
William McDonald mariner
Mary Ann Paul spinster
Grooms Father John McDonald labourer
Brides father John Paul labourer
witness Jabez Shepherd
Over the xmas holiday me Dad showed me Mary Ann Paul,s lineage back to 1633 using parish records he looked up whilst in Cornwall on holiday a few years back it seems her family went from using the surname Powle,Pawl and finnally Paul over the years, the record from 1633  says Edvardo(s) Paul son of Nathanelis and Maria ? Im just wondering as the name Edvardos is Spanish that maybe the family originally came from Spain and im curious to find out if anyone else has done any research that may suggest this? Also (another question!) My father also came across a family of Paul,s living on the Channel islands in 1881 discribed as travellers would this be the same family as Mary Anns i wonder? Any help or info or indeed suggestions would be really appreciated
   many thanks Dunc

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Paul surname origins of?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Most parishes registers were in Latin at that time and so the names would, I think, be Edward, son of Mary and Nathan.

David

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Paul surname origins of?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking David!
I Never thought of that it would make sense,i was just curious in case any of the other members with Paul relatives had looked into it,as for the Paul family travellers i think that one of the Boswells married into the Pauls but apart from what my Dad saw on the channel island records i know nothing else or even if they are relatives of Mary Ann
  Dunc

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PAUL surname origins of?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Paull is a very popular name in the Cornish area, I have some from Kenwyn and Kea in the 1700's. The only way of connecting the Mary you mention is by tracing her line back. I am afraid it is dangerous to jump to the conclusion that because they have the same surname they must be related

Good luck in your research
Jackie ;)
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply Jackie  ;)
I think i should of made my post a bit clearer my family have traced Mary Ann Pauls ancestors back as far as we could and ended up with Nathanelis and Marias marriage and the birth of thier son Edvardos in Paul in 1633 after there were marriages into the Hitchen and Hebbard/Hibbard families as well as others my family of Paul were found at first in Paul then Newlyn then Penzance and Helston as Newlyn is only a 2 mile walk from Penzance and vice versa im pretty confident that the majority of Pauls found in this small area would be related,although i have the marriage info of the above im not sure of offspring so thats why im trying to find if the following are in deed relatives of Mary Ann and her father John Paul the info i have is as follows
oct 30th 1883 Helston
William James Paul marries Agnes Mary Boswell
William James paul born oct 31st Penzance parents to William Harvey Paul and Mary Ann Fry both born Penzance
These are William Paul and Agnes Mary Boswells offspring all born Penzance apart from one born in Plymouth
Abraham Paul b 1885
Robert John Paul b 1886
William Henry Paul b 1888
Francess Ann Paul b 1889
Beatrice Maria Paul b 1891(she married Wisdom James in penzance 1914 son of Henry James and Selina Smith)
Robert John Paul b 1892
John Paul b 1893
Stanley Paul b 1897
Nelson Paul b 1901
Bridget Paul b 1904
Gordon Paul b 1904
Andrew Paul b 1905
Not sure if there is a link between John Paul or Mary Ann and the 2 William Pauls any advice or info would be really appreciated
Thanks alot
Dunc

Offline fenifur

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
I would also point out that the Sapnish were no strangers to Cornwall. Also. most of Mousehole, just down the road from Paul, was burned to the ground in a Spanish raid in 1595 - and it's not unusual for 'interlopers' to settle. :)
Vanderkist; London and beyond!
Doe; Suffolk
Hunt; Surrey, London
Reeves; Croydon, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire
Porrett: England, Yorkshire, London
Ward; Croydon, Wiltshire
Batchelor; Croydon, Brighton
Ellis; Croydon, Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire
MacPherson; Scotland
Wills; Cornwall
Taylor; Suffolk
Aldous; Suffolk
Poll; Suffolk
Gathercoal; Suffolk

Offline dairymaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
Interested in the Mary Ann Fry/William Harvey Paul connection. 

Mary Ann was actually born in the Breage area, bp Breage 1/5/1839, although the family moved back to the Sancreed/Newbridge area afterwards - they are both near Penzance.  Mary Ann's mother, Mary Ann Hall was from the Madron area, again near to both Penzance (which was in Madron Parish) and Newbridge/Sancreed.

Mary Ann Fry was a sister to Martha Fry, my husband's great grandmother and we have been trying to find out the descent line of the Pauls for a while. Are you descended from this line?

Would love to hear from you if you are. 

Incidentally, Paul is also a parish as well as a village, was called Pawle at one time and the parish includes both Mousehole and Newlyn.  So, people who have the birthplace of Paul were more often than not actually from Mousehole or Newlyn as Paul refers to the parish in most instances.

Jean

Offline Paul47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 12 16:22 GMT (UK) »
okay everyone, especially dunkmac74 & dairymaid; I think I have some common heritage to share with you, and I am equally interested in learning some bits on your lineage of the common thread too. So far as I can tell at least. Let me start by saying that my surname is Paul, and I have some common relatives (ancestors) with you. I will need to locate some of the research I have tucked away, but I do remember this much; My research did have the names of William Harvey Paul parents and I do recall his mother was born a (ggggm)Hall. I am from the (gggf)William Harvey Paul & (gggm)Mary Ann (nee) Fry family, and the next in line for me was (ggf)William James Paul & (ggm)Agnes Mary (nee) Boswell; and next was (gf)Andrew (Ephriam Samuel) Paul & Mary Ruth (nee) Greenslade;, and next after that is (f)Andrew Paul & (m)Hilda Ruth (nee) Baker; and then me b 1947 Andrew R Paul, married twice with 6 children in total. The Boswell side has some colorful characters as well such as the well known Granny Boswell (b Ann Kingston) wife of Ephriam Boswell. I don't know anything about the other Paul branches at all for instance. William Harvey Paul had siblings such as Joseph H Paul, George C Paul, Margaret J Paul, Ida May Paul, Clara Paul that I know nothing at all about. Other bits of info; Also it is my understanding that the Boswell family were of Romany ancestory, but I think that the Paul side was Cornish (Gaelic). If you have anything at all to add please do, I am very interested to learn more. Thx. my email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dairymaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 12 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I am sending you a private e-mail

Dairymaid