Author Topic: Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN  (Read 13622 times)

Offline BoroGenes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to Elsdon Parish Records from 1672 I would be grateful if they could help me find the baptism date and parents names for Edward Brown. IGI states birth about 1727.

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ELSDON PARISH RECORDS - EDWARD BROWN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Could not see an Edward Brown baptised in Elsdon anywhere around 1727 by many years.  The IGI entry you refer to is not an entry extracted from the Elsdon parish records.  The extracted entries are usually very reliable.

In this case you have found an entry submitted by an individual and the reliability is as good as the info held by the submitter - in this case it appears not very good.

Someone has found a marriage between Sarah Lowes & Edward Brown in Elsdon in 1752 & used the 'standard' estimate of age for a bridegroom of 25 years.  This has then been used as the basis for an entry stating that Edward Brown was baptised in Elsdon abt 1727.  In the absence of other information he could in fact have come from anywhere (including Scotland) and he could be much older and a few years younger than 25.  He could also well have been non-conformist (in particular one of the varieties of Presbyterian) and would thus not necessarily have appeared in the parish baptism registers, unless perhaps his parents were concerned about issues of inheritance and so wanted to record his birth. 

Many Presbyterian ministers in NBL did not keep registers, even into the 19th century, or if they did, regarded them as their personal property and the registers consequently had uncertain fates.  There were very good reasons for the introduction of civil registration in 1837.  We cannot assume that the IGI, or even the IGI plus all surviving church registers, will have information about the whole of the NBL population.

In this period, particularly with a common surname, it is therefore very risky to rely just on parish registers - you need to see what other records you can find that might account for others with the same name in the same broader area.  The IGI alone shows quite a few Edward Browns baptised in the wider area over time.

Have you been able to idenify the burial of the Edward Brown you are interested in?  If he lived long enough the entry might just possibly give a tad more info such as his age at death or the specific location he lived in.

A couple of Elsdon parish burials around the date you mention that may or not be helpful (given the mobility of the population and the extremely common surname):

13 August 1723 Edward Brown of the Bogg buried

25 Sep 1735 Dorothy wife of Edward Brown of Girslees Miln [buried]

BTW - somewhere on the internet, possibly Google books - a number of NBL parish registers, and I think these may include Elsdon, are freely available.  I have to dash so can't locate it but if you have a play on Google I am sure it will come up.  You could also try FreeReg to see if they have any records for Elsdon and neighbouring parishes.

Good luck,

Matilda

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A couple of baps that you may already have but the info in the registers helps to possibly link  these to one of the burials:

8 Nov 1761 baptism of Edward son of Edward & Sarah Brown of Girslees Miln
19 Feb 1764 bap of Elizabeth dr of Edward & Sarah Brown of Girslee miln

27 May 1770 bap of Nicholas the son of Edward & Sarah Brown of Girslee miln, 3/4 year old

In the entry for the 1752 marriage of Edward Brown & Sarah Lowes, the only additional information was that they were both 'of this parish'.  That does not necessarily mean they were born there.

A Nicholas Brown marries shortly before Edward - I could not find a bap in Elsdon for this elder Nicholas Brown either nor baps for any of his children.  They could still be living/have been born in the area, but could be non-conformist.  Edward & Sarah may have 'lapsed' to C of E or Sarah could have been C of E and have prevailed :)  This is all speculation however.  Even if Edward & Nicholas senior are related, their family could have moved to the area after they had been baptised elsewhere, or they could both be mobile hinds or shepherds, moving around as adults every 12 months or so, with the crossing of paths in 1752 in Elsdon being co-incidence.

There is another burial:

12 Feb 1750 Nicholas Brown of Elsdon

Matilda

P.S. Sorry forgot to provide the Nicholas Brown marriage - 18 May 1752 Nicholas Brown & Mary Nicholson both of this parish

A couple more burials:

12 April 1744 buried Nic: son of Nicholas Brown of Elsdon
28 Oct 1744 Mabell Brown of Elsdon Widdow Pr [was buried]

The Nicholas Brown entries refer to a place of abode in Elsdon, which I would take to mean Elsdon township, while Edward Brown is said to live in Girslee miln

Offline Matilda1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to Elsdon Parish registers 1672 - 1812 - free

http://www.archive.org/stream/registersbaptis00goog/registersbaptis00goog_djvu.txt

Offline BoroGenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all this useful information, Matilda1. I will cross check it with my existing sources and post the outcome. Hopefully, I can get further back.

Regards

David

Offline BoroGenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 January 11 14:38 GMT (UK) »
My links to Elsdon for the Brown's in my family tree are as follows:

"Family Search" images of Tynemouth Parish Records show the birth of Edward Milburn Brown, 1 April 1808, 1st son of Nicholas Brown of Whitley, Labourer of Elsdon and Jane Milburn of Simonburn. The IGI Family Group Record lists Nicholas Brown and Jane Milburn as marrying on 16 Feb 1806 in Elsdon. I am fairly comfortable with the lineage up to this point.

"Family Search" IGI Family Group Record gives an Edward Brown married to Sarah Lowes on 25 June 1752, as Matilda1's above confirms. The IGI record also shows Sarah's death as 9 March 1803 and burial in Elsdon on 12 March 1803. Another IGI search gives Sarahs christening at Elsdon on 28 Oct 1730. Another person's family tree I have seen gives Edward Brown as Baptised on 25 July 1730 in Elsdon. These 'facts' I need to check further.

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
  I have just found a probable link between Edward Brown and my "known family".
Lancelot Brown, farmer 1757-1822 was a son of Edward and Sarah née Lowes.
Lancelot married Elizabeth Pender on 5th May 1800 in Elsdon and they had a daughter:
An Isabella Brown, born 10th March 1801 in Elsdon.
Isabella Brown and William Laidler had a daughter, Margaret Laidler born 20th April 1846 and who died on 25th March 1882 in Sunderland as the wife of William Jackson, a successful wine & spirits merchant.
What I'd really like is the marriage info for Isabella Brown and William Laidler, so I can positively connect all the above. There was a marriage between a William Laidler and Isabella Brown on 2nd Feb 1842 at All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, but I thought the wedding should have taken place about 1830 given the DoBs for Margaret's siblings.
  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 July 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
  Update: I have eliminated the marriage record for 2nd February 1842 in Newcastle-upon-Tyne for William Laidler and Isabella Brown. The fathers were Andrew Laidler, schoolmaster, and Thomas Brown, farmer. They are NOT in our family. If anybody wants the certificate, just let me know.

So ... I'm still looking for a marriage record for William Laidler and Isabella Brown from 1826 to 1839 or so.

Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard

I checked the marriage index for Northumberland which covers 1813 to 1837 - there was no relevant marriage.

Is there any chance that Isabella could have been married before?  I did spot a marriage between William Laidler and Isabella Pringle in Hartburn in 1834.  Hartburn is a neighbouring parish to Elsdon.  Now if you could find a marriage for Isabella Brown to Mr. Pringle who subsequently died......

Alternatively they married after 1837.

Christine