Author Topic: Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN  (Read 13634 times)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elsdon parish records - Edward BROWN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
How do I search the Scottish records? Do I need a subscription? I wonder if a lookup request might work?
Any advice is welcome.
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
You can search Scottish records by buying credits on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for there, but you may be stuck with the challenge of an irregular cross border marriage where the records are a bit more sketchy.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 01:33 BST (UK) »
There speaks the voice of bitter experience, eh Craclyn  ;D

I will check out the available irregular marriages on Wednesday if no-one has provided an answer before then.

Christine

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Christine.
Since we have many irregular personalities in our family, I am optimistic.  ;D
Richard
RPJ

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
There speaks the voice of bitter experience, eh Craclyn  ;D

Christine

Yes indeed Christine :) In my trawl through 40 volumes of non-conformist indexes on Saturday I saw that PT31 Berwick Golden Square and PT33 Presbyterian Registers also include some irregular marriages. I didn´t check to see if the lists they have are covered in the cross border booklets though.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome, Christine.

I have checked the two booklets of irregular marriages issued by the NDFHS - no luck.

A reminder that Scotlandspeople only has C of S & more recently RC records. Some Protestant non-con records appear to be only available in Edinburgh, sadly. Scottish parish records may sometimes mention some irregular marriages but these may be more likely to be couples living in that parish.

Have you seen the entry for a will for Lancelot Laidler, late of the Salmon Inn in Holystone, in the National Probate Calendar? Effects under 100 pounds. Will proved by Lancelot Brown. Small chance it might have a clue? This link explains how to get a copy of post 1858 wills:
https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

I am looking for a marriage for my own (different) William & Isabella Laidler (Isabella formerly Whitehead)  the early to mid 1830s hence my coming across this post.

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody,
Yes. Lancelot Laidler was the uncle of Lancelot Brown in my tree.

My challenge remains in linking the mother of Margaret Jackson née Laidler (1846-1882), who I believe to be Isabella Brown (1801-1865) with the Edward Brown (1722-1791) in this thread via Edward's son Lancelot Brown, farmer, (1757-1822).

I believe Lancelot Brown married Elizabeth Pender and Isabella was their daughter. Everything that I have uncovered points in that direction. I would like to have the marriage record to prove this beyond doubt.

Richard
RPJ

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Just checking you realise that unlikely the marriage record will give the names of the fathers at this date, regardless of whether marriage C of S, other non- con denomination, irregular or even C of E (pre July 1837). If in church you may be v lucky and one of the witnesses may have a distinctive name but relationships not given.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 20:08 BST (UK) »
There is chance the LL will might confirm relationship e.g. might refer to LB as his cousin. Think it more likely LB junior rather than senior proved the will.

Other possibilities are any leases either family entered into. Am not familiar with inn license requirements but maybe LL needed a reference? There is a websjte somewhere about pubs and may also be local records. Sometimes roundabout route  can help.