Author Topic: James Rowland b c1763  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
James Rowland b c1763
« on: Thursday 06 January 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a problem with James Rowland born circa 1763-67 and can get nowhere at all!

He is anecdotally supposed to have been born in or near Abergavenny in Monmouthshire and indeed there is a James Rowland baptised 1763 in Llantillio Crosseney, which  I understand is near Abergavenny.

He was a Bellringer of some note but not sure if he did this in Wales.

He joined the military (according to a handwritten document by his youngest son which has just come to light) in Newtown, Montgomeryshire!!   He joined the 83rd Foot Regiment and was wounded at Salamanca and possibly discharged at this time but no records that far back available.   The 83rd Foot Regiment is now the Irish Rangers or Rifles I understand.

James next appears in Bishop's Stortford Hertfordshire where he marries Elizabeth Joceylin from Essex in 1795.   His first child, Robert Joslin Rowland was born in Lincolnshire (Stamford All Saints) in 1797.    He is next found in Great Baddow, Essex, where he remained and took part in Bellringing at the local church, until he died in 1846.

The story of him being born in Wales is anecdotal and also someone in the family is supposed to have owned a Pub (no name) that fell into the River - looked into the River Wye and River Severn but no stories on that (or floating pubs for that matter!)

Another anecdotal story suggests that he came to Essex/East Anglia via Wickham Market - not sure quite what that means but have explored the possibility that he was a Drover but somehow I don't think he arrived in that area until about the time he was married.   There were, however, markets to which welsh drovers brought their sheep in Stamford, Hertford and Essex.

I really dont know where to search for his birth - have done the Monmouthshire parish registers and some Montgomershire records - nothing.   Was he born in Ireland I wonder - he joined an Irish Regiment.   Was his father a military man and he, himself born overseas - a few of his grandchildren were because the whole family was military.  Can anyone help me on where to go next.   I am not in the correct area for Military but may pose the question on the Military forum at some time as I understand there is a possibility of Musterand/or Militia Rolls going to be made available in 2 - 4 years.

The other problem is, if he ws born in Wales, he was born at a time when (and I may have got this wrong) a child could be given either the father's surname or the mothers regardless of legitimacy.   From the names of his children his father should be Robert and his mother Mary Ann.   Interestingly his third son was given the middle name Webster which I thought might be his mother's maiden name but have not been able to prove this.   Webster also sounds distinctly welsh.

His first wife Elizabeth Joceylin died in 1813 and he remarried in 1815 to Hannah Mabbs in Great Baddow Essex - he predeceased her. 

Sue

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Rowland b c1763
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 11 23:18 GMT (UK) »
You can check Webster on this surname profiler for 1881

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

It's distinctly not Welsh.

Regimental musters & pay lists at the national Archives go back to 1732. The Chelsea Pension records for soldiers discharged between 1760 & 1913 are on Findmypast. Campaign medal records at the archives go back to 1793
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/default.htm

Don't think children would have been given mother's surname. Are you getting confused with patronymics?

There is a James Rowland born in Stamford, Lincs c. 1788 who joined up in 1817 in Cork. There is an extracted IGI baptism for him in batch C031681
James Webster Rowland bp 29/2/1788, son of Samuel & Mary.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 11 23:32 GMT (UK) »
just found the marriage for Samuel. He married Mary Reed 17/4/1786 Stamford St George, & he was a tailor. One of the witnesses was a George Rowland. Think Mary may have died not long after as Samuel remarried later that year to Sarah Lyon in St John, Stamford.

On the baptism for Robert in 1797, James is shown as a tailor.

http://www.freereg.org.uk/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 January 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that - I think you may have found James 1763's two brothers George and Samuel - not that I knew of them but supposed he must have had some siblings.   All the Rowland males were Tailors!

I wasn't actually able to find the second marriage of Samuel in 1786 on the UK Parish Website (which I have never used before).   That was certainly a speedy re-marriage! :o

It looks rather as though the Rowlands were from East Anglia although I wouldn't  rule out Wales (he did (james) enlist in Newton, Montgomeryshire) or Ireland - the 83rd was an Irish Regiment but you have certainly given me something to go forward on.

Many thanks indeed.

Sue :)

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 11 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I've seen speedier remarriages. A man who lost his wife and had young children needed someone to look after them while he worked. Remarriage eas a practical solution.

::)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
I do believe I have found James Rowland after all these years searching (and I am not the only one).
If it is him, it was expected he would have been born in Wales or Stamford, Lincolnshire.
The James Rowland I found yesterday was born in Edern, Merionethshire, Wales - his parents were Ann and John Rowland.
Just to make things even better, parents moved to Stamford, Lincolnshire.
This is all thanks to the member who is posting census and bmds on here - I haven't even been able to thank him because a) can't remember his name and b) I can't find the entry he made.   Nevertheless, I am absolutely delighted - so many folk have been looking for him for so long.   Sue - a Happy Elderly Bunny