Author Topic: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters  (Read 9033 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters
« on: Saturday 08 January 11 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Can any RootsChatter help me with 1882 QLD Ship Deserters? I can't seem to find them on-line, however, I did see that the QLD State Library does have those records on microfilm.

Thanks to RootsChatters in another thread of mine, I was able to establish that my great grandfather, Frederick de Belin, appears in the QLD Police Gazette as a Ship's Deserter in June 1882. Unfortunately, the name of the ship is not mentioned.

I would love to find that the ship was the "Silver Eagle", which arrived in Maryborough in June 1882 from England. I have the Passenger List which has Frederick's future wife, Laura West, on board, but I can't find a Crew List for this voyage.   Family legend has suggested that Frederick was on this ship and deserted it to marry Laura, which he did in Dec 1882. Newspaper articles of the day indicate by June, the entire(!) crew had deserted the "Silver Eagle", so there is good possibility that he was a crew member, but I would like to confirm it 100% if possible?

I have previously found Frederick on Crew Lists for "General Caulfield", "Kaikoura", "Garonne" and "Waroonga", arriving in either NSW or QLD.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:08 GMT (UK) »
During more "surfing" on the Internet I managed to find an on-line site for QLD Ship Deserters for 1882;

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/index/seamen_1882_1919.asp

Alas, my Frederick de Belin was not listed. Though all was not lost, as the "Silver Eagle" was not even mentioned in the records (able to search for vessel too), whereas newspapers of the day indicated the "entire crew" deserted!

So there still remains a glimmer of hope that he did desert from the "Silver Eagle", but there is no record.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,

I've found reference to a book held at the State Library of Queensland:

"Silver Eagle" 1880 & 1882 - written and compiled by Colleen Bosel

Regards,
Alison

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les
Have you looked in "Log of Logs" 3 vols for the "Silver Eagle"?
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those extra replies Dawn and Alison.

I don't know those reference which you mention. Does it mean a visit to the QLD State Library? I live in Sydney.

Les

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those extra replies Dawn and Alison.

I don't know those reference which you mention. Does it mean a visit to the QLD State Library? I live in Sydney.

Les

Perhaps it's also at the Mitchell Library.
If not, there will probably a very kind RCer who will go to the QLD library for you.

Alison  :)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 January 11 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I've just "found" Colleen Bosel on Facebook. I've sent her a message to see if she might be able to assist - here's hoping  :)

Les

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I've just "found" Colleen Bosel on Facebook. I've sent her a message to see if she might be able to assist - here's hoping  :)

Les

If not, I think she must be something to do with the Maryborough Family Heritage Institute

www.treeroots.com.au/

The library catalogue seems to have them and the book in the same blurb.

Their web site (link above) talks about volunteers helping family researchers.

Alison  :D

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alsion. I'll see what transpires with the FB inquiry, if nothing, then the Heritage site.

Les