Author Topic: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters  (Read 9031 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help With 1882 QLD Ship Deserters
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 January 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Les
Log of Logs comes in 3 vols put together by Ian Nicholson some years ago (he's now dead).
It consists of known details of ships in and out of Australasia but of course does not claim to answer all questions. From memory (long time since I've looked at them) it gives as much as he could find on each ship, e.g. whether a log is available and where it is, when the voyages were, captain's name, surgeon's name - all stuff like that. Very occasionally a sketch / photo.
SAG would have copies I'm sure.  Or I could have a look at the copies in the QFHS library next weekend when I'm over there.  Let me know if you'd like that.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 January 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your offer Dawn. I would appreciate if you could have a look for me when time permits - no hurry as I've been searching this ancestors for 15 years.

If anything of importance pops up in the meantime, I'll let you know, and that'll save you having a look.

Thanks again.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 January 11 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I've just "found" Colleen Bosel on Facebook. I've sent her a message to see if she might be able to assist - here's hoping  :)

Les

I received a reply from Colleen Bosal, and as expected, she politely requested I contact the Maryborough Heritiage Centre, which I've now done.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 January 11 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les
Had a look in all three vols of Log of Logs.  Unfortunately the only references to "Silver Eagle" are all for the 1860s. For what it's worth, I'll list them here.
Vol.1 - f.r. [fully rigged] ship, 903t [tons not tonnes]) of Somes Bros. 3 voyages London - Auckland 1862-66.  Precis of passages, inc. troops in "White Wings Vol.1" by H. Brett
Vol.2 - no mention
Vol.3 - voyage 1862-1863: f.r.ship 903t (b.1861) Captain LONGMAN, London/Gravesend 28.9.1862 Downs (after minor collision with small craft)-Auckland, 6.1.63 [arrival date].  Log. Letters by Haslam family, at ATL [Alexander Turnbull Library] National Library NZ, MS-Papers-3895.
voyage 1863-1864?[Sic] ;   same ship and Master: FIrst or second voyage to Auckland? : See "Extracts from my journals" 1863-64(?) by S.P.T.Nicholl (written in 1879) at ATL Wellington, Reference 87-213

Not muich help for 1882, I know.  Bits in round brackets ( ) are like that in book, square brackets [ ] are my explanation of sabbreviations etc.

Nicholson makes the point, at front of book, "only those where a log, contemporary record, or some form of narrative still exists" are included in the three volumes.  So apparently he didn't find a log etc for the 1882 voyage.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 January 11 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Looking in 1882 Qld.Police Gazette:
6th July 1882, Ships Deserters [title of notice]
"Warrants issued by Maryborough Bench for the arrest of the following persons, charged with deserting from the barque "Silver Eagle", Captain Bright: On the 7th ultimo  .... On the 28th ultimo, Frederick de Belin. about 26 years of age, 5 feet 9 inches high, strong build, fair complexion, good looking, shaves on chin.  [Luv the good looking bit ! DM]
Last sentence of the notice which lists quite a lot of deserters from the ship, it says "They are supposed to be working for farmers or timber-getting in the vicinity of Maryborough" - presumably this applies to all the people mentioned in the notice.

The search threw up references to the surname in 1884 & 1884 so I'll go and see if I can find them and get back to you
Dawn M

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 January 11 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Les
1884 Qld. Police Gazette [p.83]\FRED de BELIN is charged, on warrant issued by the Bundaberg Bench, with embezzlement (amount not stated) on Arthur Wellesby Rogers, Maryborough on 14th  December last.  Description: About 30 years of age, 5 feet 8 inches high, very stout build, fresh complexion, small fair moustache, otherwise clean-shaved, gentlemanly appearance,  good address, an Englishman; generally wears dark clothes and dark hard-felt hat.  He left Bundaberg on 24 January last for Rockhampton per ss."Leichhardt" and is said to have been subsequently seen at that place and at Gladstone."   Notice dated 24th March 1884
Now to find 1885 which is something else with 'embezzlement' in it.  [Naughty boy?!]  I'll be back, rather than keep this post open and risk it timing out.
Dawn M

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 January 11 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Les
1885 Qld Police Gazette, p.258 - they found him!
Tells people to refer to the 1884 notice, then
"FRED DE BELIN, charged with embezzlement, has been arrested by the Emerald police and remanded by that Bench to Bundaberg, where he was discharged."  Notice dated 14 October 1885
Well, at least you now have a description of him, if you didn't know what he looked like!   ;D

If you're not familiar with Queensland geography:  Gladstone is about 100km south of Rocky, on the coast (big aluminium plant there now);  Emerald is 200 - 300 miles due west of Rocky, you may have seen it on the TV recently, in the floods. (These distances are a guess 'out of my head' - someone's sure to give you more precise measurements   :)
Nice town with a beaut old railway station, friendly people.
Dawn M

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 January 11 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Thank you so much for your EXCELLENT contribution to my topic! You have finally solved the family legend - Frederick de Belin WAS a deserter from the "Silver Eagle" in 1882, the same ship that his future wife was a passenger (they married 6 months after the ship's arrival). Well, that's only taken me 15 years to confirm, thanks to you, and some other RootsChatters recently.

Yes, I do have a photograph of Frederick, recently posted on the Photo Restoration thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,497144.msg3544988.html#msg3544988

However, the Gazette description adds that little bit extra "blood & bone" to him. It is said that I bear some ressemblance to him even down to his moustache, but my wife says my description differs from his "stout" - I  should be "rotund"   ;D

Frederick was Station Master in the former towns of Alice and Withersfield, which are up Emerald way. He was even the school teacher at Withersfield for 6 months (I have his school's report).

I have not received any reply from the Maryborough Heritage Centre regarding my request for information, but that is quite understandable due to flooding problems. Though in all honesty, there's probably not more they can give me, now that you have confirmed Frederick's desertion from the "Silver Eagle".

Thanks again!

Les