Author Topic: Pre-1855 Deaths in Perth  (Read 17085 times)

Offline zigitup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-1855 Deaths in Perth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Buckhind

I found this post when searching for info about Greyfriars Cemetary in Perth. I think one of my ancestors Peter Haggart might be buried there.  I have found a record for a burial of a Peter Haggart ("Hagart") on PKC website. It says he was a carter buried in 1819 aged 26.  The name and occupation match but I think 26 (so born c1793) is too young because the Peter Haggart I am looking for was married in Kinnoull in 1802.  His wife was called Ann (Campbell). I think they lived in Bridgend.  Thanks.  I've  got no links to Perth so no idea how big a job this might be!  Is there a way (map?) of linking PKC burial refs to locations in the cemetary? Any assistance, suggestions or signposts would be much appreciated.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Zigitup,
If your Peter Haggart was married in 1802 then the one born 1793 and buried in Greyfriars Cemetery is not the same one (unless the age is wrong).
Thoughout the centuries up until the mid 19th century there were two graveyards in Perth.
Greyfriars catered for the citizens of Perth, and Kinnoull Churchyard was the resting place of citizens of Kinnoull parish and the neighbouring parish of Bridgend.
If your Peter Haggart was married and lived in Brigend then he would most probably be buried in Kinnoull Churchyard.
This is a photograph of the Perth Bridge built over the River Tay in 1766-72.
Bridgend is at the far end and Kinnoull is a wee bit further to the right.

These photographs are from my website circa 2000/2001.

and these are the photos I took in June, 2011:

These photographs are from my website circa 2000/2001.

And these are the ones I took in June, 2011:

An idyllic and beautiful scene.

I think Perth Library still has the pre-1855 book of Perthshire burials.
I will check out Kinnoull Churchyard for you and see if there is any mention of Peter Haggart and Ann Campbell.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 19:27 BST (UK) »
I went to Perth Library and checked out the pre-1855 MI’s of Perthshire.
There were two Haggarts in Kinnoull Churchyard.
59- Thomas Fleming Baker Bridgend 1818, first wife Helen Haggart 15.4.1804 36 (years old)….

124- 1826 John Hagart of George Street, Perth 2.6.1816 33,
Wife Ann Morison 22.8.1826 37, son James student of medicine 24.3.1817 18,
Son William .3.1822 16 buried Milnathort, son Robert .8.1825, 23, son John in 1826.

There were two in Greyfriars Burying Ground.
Block E- 98- Robert Haggart, wife Helen Garvie 13.4.1834 55, son James 6.3.1846 28.

Block G- By Peter Haggart & Aunt Jane Campbell (mother Grace Stewart 24.7.1841 82).

A couple of the dates are post 1841 census which means you should find them in the 1841 census for Perth.

Offline zigitup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks very much for all this info and the photos, it looks beautiful esp the last one looking back over the river. And they knew how to make headstones back then. Imagine trying to order something like that today?!

I know its not a match but that last one "Block G" seems like a goer.  Perhaps that is my Peter's son and Aunt Jane Campbell is Ann Campbell's sister?  All of this info will help me with my research. I'm on Scotland's People so it should help me with my searches on there. I've just looked up the 1841 Census and there is a 28 year old Peter Haggart living in Kinnoul in 1841. (So presume that could be Peter and Ann's son?)  If Peter snr and Ann aren't on the 1841 census then they must have died before then (assuming they didn't move away).

Once again thank you very much you have made my day!

Tony Haggart

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
When I saw the name Jane Campbell I thought that she might be a sister of Ann.

Scotlandspeople show two deaths for a Peter Haggart.
1   1866   HAGGART   PETER           M   50   PERTH   /PERTH   
2   1881   HAGGART   PETER           M   71   PERTH   /PERTH   

One of them may be the son of Peter & Ann but no guarantees.

Offline zigitup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 May 15 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again.  Been doing a bit more research and found this record on the PKC site.  (Amazing what you can find out!)

http://www.pkc.gov.uk/article/3925/Perth-burgh-burial-registers-1794-1855?pkcrecid=32225&pkcFirstName=Ann&pkcSurname=Hagart&pkcAlternativeNames=true&pkcpageno=0&pkcsortfield=id

So this shows that Ann Hagart (note spelling) was buried in Greyfriars in 1852.  It mentions spouse  as Peter Hagart. It says he is a "Carter" which matches what I know about his occupation. So pretty sure now this is the right one.  I've been in touch with PKC about burial records and frustratingly they can't find a record of Ann Hagart or Peter (who must have died post 1852).

It may be that there is no headstone?  Presume that most people couldn't afford a headstone back then do you think?  Has anyone got a plan map of Greyfriars?  PKC have sent me some details of Haggarts in that graveyard with some refs "Lair 5-293" and "Lair 4 -107".  I may come up to Perth at some point so I might have a look around but it would be good to try and find these.  I'll be snookered without a map tho? PKC said they didn't have a plan of the cemetery.  I note some of your posts quote Block E and Block G.  Any tips gratefully received.  Thanks.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
Firstly well done on finding the death of Ann Haggart in 1852
I wouldn’t read too much into the spelling of her name.
It depended on what the official who was writing the documents thought the name should be.

Greyfriars cemetery is roughly rectangular.
The main body of the cemetery is divided up into 6 blocks.
A-B
C-D
E-F
And the wall surrounding the cemetery is designated block G.

I went to Perth Library and checked out the pre-1855 MI’s of Perthshire
Block G- By Peter Haggart & Aunt Jane Campbell (mother Grace Stewart 24.7.1841 82).

I wrote that in a previous post.
The book was written in the 1970’s and has a rough map of Greyfriars.
There are wee squares indicating the headstones that are in the book.
But as I wrote earlier the cemetery had an upgrade in the early 21st century and lots of the headstones are now missing (my opinion).
I have a booklet on Greyfriars written in 1988 which gives a map of the graveyard.
Again there are wee squares indicating headstones but only 30 of them are numbered indicating noteworthy stones.

I found these in the censuses.
1841 census: Bridgend, Kinnoull, Perthshire, Scotland
Ann   Haggart   Female   60   1781   Perthshire, Scotland   
Grace   Campble   Female   80   1761   Perthshire, Scotland   
Jean   Haggart   Female   7   1834   Perthshire, Scotland   

1851 census: Kinnoull, Village of Bridgend, Perthshire, Scotland
Ann   Haggart    Widow   71   1780   Mangler   Perthshire, Scotland   
Jean   Haggart   Grand Daughter Unmarried 17   1834   Perth, Perthshire

This must be the family indicated in the headstone
This stone is against the wall of the cemetery.

I will have to go back to the library and see where the stone in block G is and I will then go to Greyfriars and see if I can find it.
If I do I will take a pic.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 May 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,
I went to Perth library and had another look at the Pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions for Perthshire.
This was written by a couple of the name Mitchell in 1974.
They are the ones who divided the cemetery into 6 blocks with the 7th Block G being the wall surrounding the cemetery.
By reading their instructions I was able to ascertain where the headstone that Peter Haggart bought should be.
It was number 178 and was on or near the west wall.
The next number 179 was on or near the south wall, much defaced.
I think it is safe to assume that stone 178 was on or near the west wall close to the south wall.
Also in the Library is a book written by a guy called William Sievwright in 1893 titled
Greyfriars Burying-Ground: Epitaphs and Inscriptions
He also wrote a supplement in 1895.
It was in that book that I found these:
Peter Haggart
Placed by Peter Haggart and his Aunt Jane Campbell In memory of her mother Grace Stewart,
who died 24th July, 1841 aged 82 years.

Robert Haggart
Placed by Robert Haggart in memory of his spouse Helen Garvie, who died 13th April, 1834, aged 55 years.
Also George Haggart his son, died 6th March, 1846, aged 35 years. Revised Mary Kemp.

This is the south-west corner of Greyfriars.
As you can see there are almost no tombstones here.
By my reckoning Peter Haggart's stone should be on the ground between the south wall and the large stone attached to the west wall.

The two slabs at the south wall are completely covered with moss.

The grassy border between the wall and pathway had numerous headstones in years gone by.
It is my belief that headstones were removed so that it would be easier to cut the grass.

Offline zigitup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 May 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Buckhind, once again thank you very much for all your effort and research its been very much appreciated.  Its nice to know where they rest so when we do visit we now know where to go.

We'd like to acknowledge all your hard work.  Is there a charity you support or a link to a justgiving page you can post here so I can make a donation?

Thanks

Tony