Author Topic: SEARCHING FOR Birth Certificate - Esther Mary GALLAGHER  (Read 6262 times)

Offline KAYEMO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCHING FOR Birth Certificate - Esther Mary GALLAGHER
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, great to hear from you. I haven't looked at your tree as yet, but most certainly will. I am in complete and total agreement with you that Bridget's maiden-name was GALLAGHER.  Reading my post back I can see where it may have looked otherwise, the paragraph below is a little misleading (it was clear in my head!) I have inserted (BOLD text hopefully) the clarifications that should have been in there.
". . . John McCARTHY (born Longford, Ireland) & Bridget  NEE Gallagher (born Dublin) were married in Dublin (on the 22nd (or 24th) January 1860 according to birth registrations of two of their children). A few months later, like many others, they left Ireland bound for the Cape. Bridget was already pregnant and Mary McCARTHYwas born (at sea) just before they reached their destination. Hugh McCARTHY would have been born at the Cape but unfortunately I have not found much trace of him in NZ - he may have died during the voyage."

The problem was that Mary McCarthy's marriage to Bartholomeo GARBOLINO appears online under the surname GALLAGHER. [1886/27 Mary  GALLAGHER to Bartolomew  GARBOLINO]  I was trying to get across the fact that Mary Garbolino was Mary McCarthy, daughter of Bridget McCarthy nee Gallagher. The final paragraph of my post confirms Mary Garbolino's maiden-name as McCarthy via the funeral record of her son John Bartholomew (d 6 Jun 1972).
It would be great to be in touch with you. I will get on to Ancestry asap.

Offline Birkdale Boy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCHING FOR Birth Certificate - Esther Mary GALLAGHER
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayemo,
Phew, finally I thought I was going a bit lala.  Today I received 2 printouts for Mary McCarthy/Gallagher/Garbolino.  You are correct in relation to the confusion.  Yes the marriage printout lists her as a Gallagher and her mothers maiden name as McCarthy.  Now her death printout has the corrected version listing her parents as John McCarthy and Bridget McCarthy nee Gallagher.  Incidentally I'm trying to get Bridgets death officially noted as being buried at Maketu (Ramarama) cemetery,  i have been in contact with St Mary's Catholic Church Papakura and I'm trying to put together as much info as I can, so they can make a decision.  Now I'm trying to work out why Mary included Esther in her name.  Just started looking at the Garbolino side, looks like they had a great influence in the Ramarama area. :)
Regards
Birkdale Boy