Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 107471 times)

Offline Leon_Rob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Jean,
Elizabeth GOVE died of Gastric Catarrh on the 27th June 1889 at age 79 years. She was the widow of William GOVE and daughter of James WATT and Elizabeth WATT nee LAW. The informant was David GOVE, son who was present. Medical attendant was James Aymer.
William GOVE died of Ulceration of the Stomach aged 66 years on the 9th March 1875 the husband of Elizabeth WATT at Fore Street, Johnshaven. William was a Whitefisher the son of William GOVE a Seaman and Christian GOVE nee MUFFERT. The informant was Helen GOVE daughter of Woodville Parish of St Vigeans who was present at death of her father William. Medical attendant was Frederick Lewins.
Thank you ever-so much for your time.
Kind regards
Leon
Sydney
Australia

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Thursday 25 September 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
Leon,
We must be related somewhere along the line.
My Mother was Martha Begg Gove (1911-2000)
Her parents were Munro Gove (1872- 1950) & Bridget Watt
Munro's parents were
Andrew Gove (1841-1931) & Martha Begg
Andrew's parents were
Andrew Gove (1810-1902) & Mary Ann Strachan
Andrew's parents were
James Gove ( b 1776) & Isabella Watson
James's parents were
Alexander Gove (b 1752) & Ann Edward
Alexander's Parents were
Thomas Gove (b 1721) & Elizabeth Fife
Thomes's father was another Thomas gove

All from St Cyrus, Johnshaven, Benholm area.

Any of this fit with your tree?

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Leon_Rob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Thursday 25 September 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
The Gove and Watt family in Kincardinshire has many sons that have similar names.
For example there are 2 Andrew GOVES both of Johnshaven, Benholm. One born on the 5th of July 1849 the other in Oct 1851. I believe these 2 are cousins, their parents William GOVE and John GOVE being the sons of William GOVE and Christian nee MUFFERT. A number of researchers have recorded the Andrew born in 1851 as the son of William GOVE and Elizabeth WATT; when in fact he is the son of John GOVE and Catherine nee DOUGLAS.
I have seen the names you mentioned but have not looked to see if they are closely connected to the family line I have researched. One of the problems I found in researching the line I have followed is that the children seem to leave home in their early teens or even earlier. Just why this is the case I have not been able to determine. The William Gove and Elizabeth WATT family that I have researched had seven children that I know of. Of these only one remained in Scotland. James, William, Robert and David all migrated to Gippsland, Victoria Australia. Elizabeth Law McEWAN nee GOVE married to James McEWAN a plumber and her brother Andrew GOVE a plumber migrated to the Detroit Wayne Michigan area. Helen KEILLER nee GOVE lived at 19 Market Street, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. 
It is quite possible that there is a link going back perhaps to William GOVE and Christian MUFFERT, but the records get much harder to determine around that era unless one is able to find death and marriage certificates.
If you are able to find a connection then I would be interested in hearing from you. However I have just about concluded my research into the Gove family.
My interest was due to the fact that my grandfathers sister married a John Lawson GOVE, and that I lived in the Sale - Clydebank area as a youth where the Gove men had farms. My uncles worked on these farms when they were young men before world war 2.
If I am able to help you with details I am happy to share.
Kind regards
Leon

Offline DallasM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
I am looking for any Morrices who lived in Johnshaven.
I read through previous posts and you mention that there are lots of Morrices buried there.
I have been able to go back as far as James Morrice who married Jean Ballow in 1750. Jean Ballow was born in 1726 and buried in 1795 but I cannot find anything for James as in DOB or DOD.
I found this is an earlier post and this is the Jean Ballow married to my James Morrice. (Jean Ballow 10.1.1795 69 leaving four sons & five das behind her, by h Jas Morice (in) 1796) Does the (in) mean interred?
I have found all the children but would love to keep tracing the family back.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dallas

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Dallas,

I think it means that the stone was erected in in 1796 by her husband, I will check the stone for you to be sure.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline DallasM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean,
I look forward to hearing from you,
Dallas

Offline unison214

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Sunday 14 June 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
Jim,
I am your 4th cousin.  I know that we are distantly related, but I made a Facebook page for our lineage, as a way for us to all link up and chat.  Keep in mind that the page is also for the Byrnes, since I am a descendant of the Byrnes.  I realize that you're not, but the Byrnes are still related to you.  The page is https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009461150858
Thanks!
Barbara

Offline AndyWatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Monday 29 June 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Jean,

I am particularly interested in any further information on George Barclay and Isabelle Thomson who were married in April 1743 in Benholm. Both "were of this parish" in the Benholm OPR.  I know they later lived in St. Cyrus, but any information on their parentage would be great - this is as far back as I can get with my family from this branch at the moment.

Andy

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Monday 29 June 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Andy,

There's no gravestone unfortunately.
I presume that you have seen the entry for their marriage?
Just done a quick check on family search and there's only 1 entry for George Barclay in Benholm and that was 1695, a bit too early I think for your George, but the Barclay surname crops up a lot in St Cyrus and there are a couple of possibilities for your George, 1711 & 1716

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig