Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 107588 times)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 28 January 07 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I didn't have to check the stones out as it happened as both the thomson graves are pre 1855 and listed in the index.

Ths standing one that you have is probably Margaret Thomson d. 23.04 1902 aged 83, wife of Robert Gove.

The other is a seventeenth century flat stone.

The plan I have is dated 1892 and shows all the plots and if there are markers or not.  If your ancestor was buried in Benholm then he didn't have a stone and unfortunately the plots without stones are not named.

Sorry to have been of no help.

Jean :'(
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Whyayacca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 02 February 07 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean

Many thanks for having a look for me, you have been a great help at least I now know it is not worth coming up to Scotland to see his grave as there is no stone to see.

I would still like to see Benholm and Johnshaven one day just to see where they lived.

Thank you again

Margery

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 03 February 07 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Margery,

I'm a bit surprised that being the coastguard that he didn't have a stone and wonder whether he could have been buried in the new cemetery in Johnshaven. I'm not sure when the first burials took place there, but there are some stones with dates earlier than 1892 when I presume burials stopped in Benholm.

How do you know he was buried in Benholm?

Jean ???

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline Whyayacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 February 07 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Jean

I have just received a copy of his death certificate on which it says Burial Place, Undertaker or other person by whom certified;

Churchyard of Benholm  As certified by James Donaldson - undertaker.  He died on 10th March 1857 at 9.55.a.m. Back Street, Johnshaven aged 73 years 9 months.

Margery

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 04 February 07 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Marjery,

As I have been recording the graves on the plan, it has become apparent that the surnames on the plan refer to the person who bought the plot. More often than not this matches the surname of the deceased, but not always. So I'm wondering if the plot was bought by his wife, in Scotland it's common on grave stones to find women named by their maiden name or by his daughter (if he has one) using a married name?

I would have though that when his wife died that she would have been buried in the same grave. Did he have a wife? If so what was her maiden name?

Jean.

Craig

Offline Whyayacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean

William Perrot Thompson was married to Ann Mitchell the daughter of Alexander Mitchell and Ann Innerdale or Ennerdale, he had one daughter living in Johnshaven when he died and she was called Mary Ann Clark, she also died in Back Street Johnshaven, but I dont know if it was the family home she inherited or not.  I have not to date found the death for Ann Mitchell.

Margery

bervonian

« Reply #42 on: Thursday 08 February 07 10:09 GMT (UK) »
On the ScotlandsPeople index I found the deaths of 2 persons called Ann Thomson or Mitchell (note the alternative spelling of Thompson).  1 in 1921 at St Cyrus and 1 at Banchory Devenick.

bervonian

« Reply #43 on: Thursday 08 February 07 10:12 GMT (UK) »
On the ScotlandsPeople index I found the deaths of 2 persons called Ann Thomson or Mitchell (note the alternative spelling of Thompson).  1 in 1921 at St Cyrus and 1 at Banchory Devenick in 1928.

Offline Whyayacca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 08 February 07 10:48 GMT (UK) »

I dont think either of these are her as they had several more children after this time, up to 1830, it is possible the spelling is Thomson as while they were living in Scotland that is how it was spelt but when they were in England the p was added.  We are as family  in posession of the family bible albeit that it is in Canada now, but I have seen it and copied out the text.

Many thanks for looking for me