Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 107550 times)

Offline AndyWatt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #243 on: Monday 29 June 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Jean,

Thanks - I have seen the marriage entry and the two possible births in those years. I have the family pretty much "nailed down" from the marriage of George Barclay and Isabelle Thomson onwards in 1743 but I couldn't get any further back with any certainty before their marriage. FYI - they have a gravestone at St. Cyrus Nether Churchyard that was then re-used in turn by their son and grandson and confirms the written records. 

Offline NaughtyLizzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jean,

Is it possible to see any Kirk Session records for Benholm at the Church. I have a Great Grandfather William Falconer born in Oct  1866 to a Margaret Henderson and the father William Falconer was named on the Birth Certificate as farmer. However there are 2 possibles in the Parish at that time. Would there be anything in the Kirk Session records as to an illegitimate birth? Thanks for any help you can give me. Barbara

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi JeanP,

I have just come across this thread & wondered if you wouldn't mind having a look for any Hogg surnames please?

Not sure if you need names or other info. to do a look-up for me?

I'm basically looking for any Hogg family in Kincardineshire to try & link them up?

If it's not possible without specifics, I will understand.

One I'm interested in (no idea where buried), James Hogg b 1812 Garvock, d bet. 1843 - 1851 in Kincardine.

Wife's name was Ann Robinson (not buried there) but as it was pre statutory records I have been unable to locate a DC.

Parents of James Hogg were John Hogg & Elizabeth Rae.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Annie, checked the gravestone index and the burial plan and there are no marked Hogg or Robinson burials.

Jean :(
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Naughty Lizzie!

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get the Kirk Session records yet - but I'm still trying! The original records are in Edinburgh, but they have been digitised, so could be made available to the Kirk if the powers that be would allow it.
On the Communion Roll for 1890-1896 William Falconer - Salmon Fisher and his wife took Communion for the first time in 1890 up to 1894.
Benholm Kirk has a facebook page and I am putting the Gravestone transcriptions on there, so keep checking our page.

Jean

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline NaughtyLizzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jean, Thank you so much for your speedy answer ! Yes that may well be my Great Grandfather and his wife Maggie Cunningham who were married in Benholm in 1889. My Grandmother Mary Falconer was the last of their children to be born in Benholm in 1905 before they moved to Leven in Fife. I am going to be in Scotland in August and am planning a visit as I have only been once before. Thanks again.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Annie, checked the gravestone index and the burial plan and there are no marked Hogg or Robinson burials.

Jean :(

Hi Jean,

Thanks for your trouble.

James Hogg's wife was buried in England as she moved back there after James' death.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Friday 17 March 17 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh goodness, I have A LOT of family history in Benholm on both my maternal and paternal sides.  :o

I'll start with a couple of requests, although I will probably have so much more over the coming weeks.

I have a Sarah Fettes or Fettus who was born in Bervie about 1781. She married a James Sheret on 29th May 1802 in Benholm. They had a few children; Alexander, James (direct ancestor), Jean, Sarah, Helen, Annabell and Susan. Note that their name may be spelled 'Sherret'.

Looking for any information on Sarah Fettes, her death in particular, as I have an unconfirmed date of death that I can't verify from a third party site. I believe she may have died due to complications with childbirth after the birth of Susan Sherret/Sheret on 24th May 1821. Any information regarding her would be appreciated. Or the family in general.

I also have a large interest in the names; Beattie, Shields and MacArthur. Beatties seem concentrated around Brawleymuir. There are a couple of illigitimiate births that I'd like to know about, in particular regarding a mother called Jemima MacArthur born about 1849. She later married a Jonathan Beattie. There is a thread regarding these Beatties and others here; http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=398965.0

Thank you so much in advance. I'd love if there were some records out there about these people.

mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Friday 17 March 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Liviani,

There are no gravestones for Fettes/fettus, macarthur or shields.
I have already put the Beattie gravestones on our facebook page and I will put the Sherret on now, so go have a look a little later and I should have done it.

Jean

Craig