Author Topic: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR  (Read 107484 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Benholm Kirkyard & OPR
« Reply #252 on: Friday 17 March 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Liviani,

There are no gravestones for Fettes/fettus, macarthur or shields.
I have already put the Beattie gravestones on our facebook page and I will put the Sherret on now, so go have a look a little later and I should have done it.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the fast reply. Do you have a link or name of the Facebook page? Sorry I'm quite new here and unfamiliar with things.

Interestingly I found some records on Google regarding a James Sherret who is an ancestor of mine, he was actually a Heritor and discussed the building of the new church. The meeting was held on the 11th September 1832. James was a merchant. Is there anything in the Kirk Session records about James?

Or anything in the Kirk Session records perhaps regarding Jemima MacArthur/McArthur and her 2 illegitimate births in 1870 and 1871? David and Jonathan were the names of her babies. Not sure if the Kirk Session still called parents of illegitimate babies in by this point in history in Benholm?

Jill
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Liviani,

Just search Benholm Kirk in facebook.
Sorry I don't have the Kirk Session records yet.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Liviani,

Just search Benholm Kirk in facebook.
Sorry I don't have the Kirk Session records yet.

Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for responding. I've seen the facebook page and it's useful for me. Thank you so much.

No worries about the Kirk Session records. I will keep my eyes on this thread though so that if you do eventually come into contact with them I'll come back to it.

Thank you so much for the information you have.

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Liviani!
Fingers crossed I may get access to the Kirk Session Records in the future.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline gstewart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Sunday 27 August 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,
I was born in Brechin, and my 3rd great-grandfather is Robert Duthie, 1769 - 1845 (via Sheret  and Glen). I think that he and his wife were buried at Benholm Kirkyard. I wonder if their grave is one you've come across, or perhaps of his father and mother? Any information would be gladly received.
Best wishes,
Gordon Stewart

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Monday 28 August 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,
I was born in Brechin, and my 3rd great-grandfather is Robert Duthie, 1769 - 1845 (via Sheret  and Glen). I think that he and his wife were buried at Benholm Kirkyard. I wonder if their grave is one you've come across, or perhaps of his father and mother? Any information would be gladly received.
Best wishes,
Gordon Stewart

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to Rootschat.

I noticed your reference to the name Sheret. The Sherets of Kincardineshire feature very heavily in my tree all the way down to my grandmother (deceased).

My 2x great grand uncle is a James John Sheret b.1843 Fordoun, d.1901 Fetteresso. He married a Margaret Duthie b.1848 Marykirk, marriage was in 1868 in Marykirk. Is this connection to the Sherets you mention?

Jill
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline gstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Monday 28 August 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill. Thanks for your welcome and for getting in touch.

So very many Sherets and Duthies, and  such a small selection of names they were prepared to call their children!

The Margaret Duthie in my line was born 10 Nov 1848 at South Balmakelly, Marykirk, and died 7 May 1925 at Nether Baulk, Fetteresso. Her husband was John Sheret, who was born 27 Jul 1843 in Fordoun (as per 259/40 328 of Fordoun registers), and died 26 Sep 1901 at Nether Baulk, Fetteresso. They were married 2 Dec 1868 at the Mill of Luther, Marykirk (as per 265/13 of Marykirk Registers).

One of their children, Agnes Craig Sheret is my maternal grandmother and was born 20 Apr 1887, at Balmaleedie Farm House in Marykirk, and died 23 Sept 1942 at 30 Damacre Road, Brechin, and was married to William Martin Glen.

I do hope that these details are helpful!

Gordon

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill. Thanks for your welcome and for getting in touch.

So very many Sherets and Duthies, and  such a small selection of names they were prepared to call their children!

The Margaret Duthie in my line was born 10 Nov 1848 at South Balmakelly, Marykirk, and died 7 May 1925 at Nether Baulk, Fetteresso. Her husband was John Sheret, who was born 27 Jul 1843 in Fordoun (as per 259/40 328 of Fordoun registers), and died 26 Sep 1901 at Nether Baulk, Fetteresso. They were married 2 Dec 1868 at the Mill of Luther, Marykirk (as per 265/13 of Marykirk Registers).

One of their children, Agnes Craig Sheret is my maternal grandmother and was born 20 Apr 1887, at Balmaleedie Farm House in Marykirk, and died 23 Sept 1942 at 30 Damacre Road, Brechin, and was married to William Martin Glen.

I do hope that these details are helpful!

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

It appears that I made an error with the the name of the 'James' Sheret in my last post. It is in fact John Sheret b.1843 Fordoun who married Margaret Duthie. So we have common ancestors in John's parents; James Sheret b.1803 and Mary Ann Peat b.1805. I have all of the same details for John Sheret and Margaret Duthie as you do so we have the same couple.  ;D

For some reason I had typed James instead of John despite him being down as John in my tree.  ::)

So far I only have three children down for John and Margaret - William Duthie Sheret, Mary Sheret and Joan Sheret. I notice I have your ancestor Agnes Craig Sheret missing from my tree and possible other siblings. Although I confess I hadn't done too much research into this branch.

I am descended through John's brother James.
James Sheret is my 2x great-grandfather. James Sheret was born 1st March 1837 in Edzell. He married an Isabella Hosie on he 26th June 1858 in Fordoun and died at Nether Auquhallie, Rickarton, Fetteresso in 1906. Their son George Hosie Sheret (1870-1949) is my great-grandfather.

So we are related.  ;D

Jill

GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline gstewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that, Jill!

Margaret Duthie and John Sheret had several children: William Duthie 1869-1948, Mary 1870-1871, Margaret 1872-1934, Agnes Craig 1877-1942, Ellen Elizabeth 1879-1900, Edward 1881-1943, Joan 1883-1953, James 1886-1915, and Isabella 1886-1976. The last of these, Isabella, emigrated to Canada.

Best wishes,
Gordon