Author Topic: Stewart and Young hawker families  (Read 16850 times)

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart and Young hawker families
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 March 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
F:A:O Rob G

I'm glad that i found this post.. I come from a long line of Travellers I am decended from the McCallums. In my main blood line i have McCallums & Stewarts that all married in to each others family lots of times; ie First Cousins marrying first Cousins.  I also have Mclarens & McPhee's in my line. My family are all from Scotland and they lived Around the Dumbartonshire & Stirlingshire areas! They all lived in Bow tents and were mainly Hawkers,Basket Maker & Tinsmiths. Could you tell me if you know of any McCallums or Stewarts that are up here in Scotland and are still part of the Travelling community, If you know of any could you please put me in touch. My Grandfather was the last in our family to live the traditional way, He was born in a Tent on Shewalion Moor, but later settled in a house.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kind Regards

Garry McCallum

Moderator Comment:  Email address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.   Please use our personal message system to exchange such information.

Offline Neil Loughran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 February 18 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Very happy to have found this thread.  I am from Barrow in Furness in Cumbria (now living in Norway) and started my family tree search a good decade ago.  Charles Stewart married Sarah Young or Lowther (I believe Lowther was her mothers name and Young was her fathers : Isaac Young was the name I had found but I could be wrong there.). 

My own connection is that my grandmother was Mary Stewart (born in Ulverston) and Charles was her grandfather.  I've seen the family tree up to Charles and beyond since the 1970s so I know it to be accurate as I guess it was put together via my ancestors.   I recall mention of the gypsy heritage... but I was only just reminded upon reading this thread.

I attach an actual chart that is based on or actually was on my grandmother's wall well into the 1980s (I seem to recall it even in 70s but looks like it was printed out on some inkjet printer)

Unfortunately it seems Charles was not such a nice guy... I'll save the details here but I've managed to find all manner of accounts and newspaper articles...   now saying that there seems to be a lot of Charles Stewarts around... so who knows for sure which Charles is which.. ;)

One other thing... my grandmother died of Huntingtons disease and I am wondering if that is a Stewart trait or not.  Anyway, very open to make connections on this.

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 February 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your info.
I see that you have people born in Kendal.

I also have a direct bloodline who all lived around this area. They were the Moorheads.

Can you tell me if you have this family in your tree?

Garry,

Offline Neil Loughran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 February 18 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Thanks for sharing your info.
I see that you have people born in Kendal.

I also have a direct bloodline who all lived around this area. They were the Moorheads.

Can you tell me if you have this family in your tree?

Garry,

Hi Garry,

Could not see anything when I checked on my ancestry page sorry.

Best regards
Neil

Offline BellaMiller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 January 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi im new here, i am a Miller decendant, gg father William Miller ( Hawker / general dealer ) ggg grandfather Jacob Miller,

Offline RichardMillerScotland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

My name is Richard Miller. I live in Kinross, Scotland. I have been tracing back and can get all the way back to George Miller 1861 who is also my great great grandfather and his wife Mary J Mason. After that on our side Richard Miller born 1883, died 1912 Kirkcaldy, Scotland. Then his son Richard born 1910 Cowdenbeath, Scotland died Kinross 1988. My grandad died also Richard Miller 1993, aged 55. My dad Ian Miller also died 2001, aged 34 when I was young. I too have jet black hair and tanned skin. As my dad and grandad died it means alot to me to find out as much on info on Miller side as possible. Also glad to hear there are others out the looking. Also agree would be "barrie" to speak to any of you. Cheers

Offline MrsBarlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 January 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am related to the Miller/Millar hawker family of Northumberland, Cumberland and North Yorkshire. My family has about 5 generations of Isaac Miller, going back to the 1840s and further, each generation having an Isaac, sometimes 2 in the same generation (cousins). Other names include Jacob, Phillis and Tate. Strongly related to Wilsons, Fergusons, Young. I wondered why the name Isaac was so strong over the years. Was there a famous Isaac Miller?
Wilson-northumberland. Pearce-buckinghamshire and hertfordshire. Barlow-cheshire. Sheldon-staffordshire. Puckey-anywhere.

Offline Vickysmith83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 February 24 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi I’m new here and just doing some research into my family history. My grandad is John micheal winder born in 1937 he lived in cockermouth for all his life. His parents were John winder 1906 and Ann winder (young).  Ann winder (young’s) parents were Micheal and Mary young (miller) just wondering if anybody has links to these family’s I know they were Romany gypsys and it really interests me finding out where they came from not 100 per on the info? Thanks Vicky