Author Topic: Kennedy and McMilllian Old Cumnock  (Read 5610 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy and McMilllian Old Cumnock
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 August 15 12:53 BST (UK) »
William and Annie had a daughter (my gg grandmother )Jessie Kennedy born May 1868 Shamrock Street Hutchesontown, South Glasgow, This family left for the US July 1869. The kids were: Jessie, William, John ANdrews, Mary, Robert, Annie, William, Charles, Thomas (these last two were twins). I am attaching a pictures of William and Annie's kids from the late 1880's in NY,. William's death record had no parents but his wife's did. This is only as good as the informant but Annie was listed as her mother's maiden name Jameson.  (It is really Clelland)

I have found a family of Mary and William Kennedy in the census and that could very possibly be my WIlliam's family.
1841- Titchfield Street, Kilmarnock, Ayr
1851, 109 Dale Street, Lanarkshire, civil parish Gobals
1861- 2 Norfolk Ct, Glasgow

No, I have not found a marriage record either.Possible William was married twice. I have been looking. I am still learning how to research Scottish records and have focused more on my Yuill and Cochran line. My Kennedy line is so much more difficult.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 August 15 06:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, we seem to be tracking the same William & Margaret. In the 1871 census William age 73, Margaret age 67, & son William age 30 are still in Glasgow. In 1881, Margaret & William are living in Glasgow with their daughter Margaret who is married to James Crichton and had a daughter Jane. I will give you the bits I have found about them, in case they turn out to be the people you seek.

Death:

William Kennedy
occ: shoemaker
widower of Margaret French
died 29 Nov 1890
92 yrs
father: William Kennedy (dec.)  occ: handloom weaver
mother:Margaret French (dec.)
cause: senility
informant: James Kennedy  son

Margaret Kennedy
married to William Kennedy  occ: shoemaker-journeyman
died July 1881
81 yrs
father: James French (dec.)  occ: shoemaker-journeyman
mother: Jean Cuthbertson (dec.)
cause: old age
informant: William Kennedy  widower  present

Marriage:
William Kennedy & Margaret French
7 December 1827
Kilmarnock, Ayr

Marriage:
Maggie Kennedy & James Crichton
23 June 1870
Glasgow Central
* daughter of William & Margaret

another thought may be- could Margaret have been married before she married William?

One last thought. You said that William & Ann had a daughter Jessie born 1868 and during my looking about I came across a William Kennedy in Kilmarnock, Ayr in 1841 census, who has a daughter Jessie born in 1821 and I wonder if this William and your William could be cousins as the name Jessie wasn't commonly used as a forename and they both have the name in their lines. If I can help further, let me know, Kim

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 August 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing what you have found. You mention you have them in the 1871 census. My William was married to Annie Andrews in October 1863 Glasgow and had a daughter Jessie in May 1868 Glasgow.(I have both those records so I am confident of those) They immigrated to New York in 1869 so my William would not have been in the Scottish census. I have the family in the US Census in 1870 in Brooklyn.

The cousins theory is good as Jessie seems to be very uncommon for a first name. I will have to trace this further. I feel that we are circling the same family. I will start digging again and share any new nuggets I find.

Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 August 15 04:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, the William I found in the 1871 census is the father of the William  who married Annie Andrews. Himself and his wife Margaret  lived to a good old age. Let me know how you get on. Kim