Author Topic: Audoires move to Sheffield  (Read 15095 times)

Offline dyson audoire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Audoires move to Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart
Not seen the book, do you know if there is any mention of Sheffield? There were not that many evacuees possibly because it was a bit of a target
Regards
mike

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I'll get back to you.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Further to my comment about the evacuee book, I have been in touch with the author and this is what he told me:

There are no Audoires in the book and none of the families in the book went to Sheffield, at least not initially.  The most popular initial destinations were Bradford, Bolton and Wakefield but a few went to where they had relatives, mostly London, the West Country and the South Coast (in some cases out of the frying pan into the fire!).  Many also moved about and some may well have ended up in Sheffield.

There were almost 5,000 evacuees and I have only the stories of about 150 of them, i.e. circa 50 families. A significant number made their own travel arrangements, a small number actually evacuating by air and on the scheduled mail boat services whereas those who went on 20/21 June went on a ‘fleet’ of available ships, mainly cargo boats, at no cost although they were limited in what they could take.  My own parents booked to travel on the Southern Railway mail boat to Southampton.  I still have their sailing ticket (the maritime equivalent of an airline boarding pass) and it is dated 4 July 1940 – four days after the Germans invaded and six days after the last mail boat, the Isle of Sark, sailed to Southampton.

Stewart

Offline dyson audoire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for that, do any of these names relate to Jersey? Pity I cant send pics, they will still be on the Guernsey forum I guess, under Audoire.

Names mentioned and others who may appear in photo or I think may be otherwise connected
Mr C.A.U Rose        Hon,Sec. (the one holding the shield?)
Mr E.J.Audoire       Vice chair Mrs S.J.Audrain
W H. Gile
R.Wilks-Green
Phylis Streader.
Mrs W.Soudain Mrs D.Pontin
Possibly dePutrons who were related by marriage to EJ Audoire.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 January 14 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I can only suggest searching the Jersey Archive web-site. There are a number of Audoires Occupation Registration Cards.

http://search.jerseyheritage.org/

Stewart

Offline Topsail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for that, do any of these names relate to Jersey? Pity I cant send pics, they will still be on the Guernsey forum I guess, under Audoire.

Names mentioned and others who may appear in photo or I think may be otherwise connected
Mr C.A.U Rose        Hon,Sec. (the one holding the shield?)
Mr E.J.Audoire       Vice chair Mrs S.J.Audrain
W H. Gile
R.Wilks-Green
Phylis Streader.
Mrs W.Soudain Mrs D.Pontin
Possibly dePutrons who were related by marriage to EJ Audoire.

Offline RAudoireNewsam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 January 15 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just seen this thread. I am an Audoire in Sheffield, with quite a big family too! The oldest Audoire I know is Clifford Audoire who is around 86 ish (my grandad). He had 7 children, so this line of the family is quite big.
I can probably ask around for more info though as my knowledge is lacking!

Roseanna

Offline Jackie Joy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 March 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am an Audoire descendant and trying with out much success to identify a good number of pics dating back to around 1900 . At this time several branches of Audoires from both Alderney and Guernsey emigrated to Sheffield. A colony was formed.
I have recently posted a similar request on the Guernsey Forum with some pics.
I feel this is about my last attempt after several years of effort. I really felt as though I had to try since many of the pics would be forever a mystery.
Likewise a Refugee group was formed and there is little documented evidence apart from my pics etc.
Please advise
Mike
Hi my grandmother was a Audoire her name was Ethel she was the youngest of thirteen I know she had a brother that lived in Sheffield his name was Tom