Author Topic: Ross family Balmaqueen help  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Tajrossi3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross family Balmaqueen help
« on: Tuesday 11 January 11 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi anyone?
I'm trying to find out more info on John Ross (b about 1771?) and wife Margaret McDonald(1786) and possible Johns parents? Probably crofters at balmaqueen/Balmaquien?
1841 census I think Margaret 55 and John 70? Big age difference if this is them. Son John(1827) sailed to Australia with wife Flora Nicholson in 1853 but have all their family tree. Trying to go back to John (1771) parents and location/info.
It would be nice to find the plot where John (my GG Grandfather)and margaret lived @ Balmaqueen to visit one day. Any help appreciated.

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ross family Balmaqueen help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 July 16 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My mother is also a great great grandchild of John Ross of Balmaquien...we refer to him as John Ross "senior" to differentiate him from his son of the same name who emigrated to VIC in the 1859s - are you descended from this emigre?
We are descended from his (John Ross junior's) brother Ranald - who remained in Kilmaluag despite at least 3 siblings emigrating to Australia. Ranald's son Alexander (named after his uncle who emigrated to NSW) is my mum's grandfather. Alexander's youngest child Annie is my mum's mum. They were all born in Kilmaluag, where my mother grew up. She has just moved to the north of England (my father's work took them there from Scotland) when I was born.
Do you know Ian Huntington in Melbourne? He's done a massive family tree of all the descendants of John Ross in VIC - his son Peter and I are in touch. I have set up a family Facebook page called "The Rosses of Skye (Kilmaluag)" where we exchange photos and stories between branches of the family in Skye, VIC, NSW, and Canada. Please look it up. What's your name and your direct line of descendancy from John Ross senior? You and my mother are 3rd cousins.
Regards,
Amina

Offline Tajrossi3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 July 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
All sounds correct. I am the last  son of sam and lorna ross, and sams dad was donald, son of john jnr. We know Ian and have his huge chart from some years ago. Will check out the facebook. Exciting stuff. Gordon.

Offline Pink elephant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 July 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
Please do check out our Facebook page (u may need to 'friend' me - I am Amina Hussain).
You probably also know my mum's other 3rd cousin Jeannie Poole? Her mother was Ethel Buckingham (whose brother was Alec Learmonth) - both visited my granny on Skye, but 60 years apart from one another! Alec during WW1, when he was on leave from the trenches in France; and Ethel in the late 1970s with her daughter Jeannie. They were 2 of 4 children of Mary Ross - John Ross junior's youngest child. Our families have remained in touch for over 100 years!
I recall Jeannie saying she knew your dad's youngest sister well.

Two more of my granny's Australian second cousins visited her in WW1 - Hugh Borden, and Lindsay Ross. We have (poor quality) photocopies of photos that Lindsay took whilst at their old home in Kendram, Kilmaluag ....they are very precious to me as they are the only images that exist of my great grandparents....funny that I only got them when I visited family in Oz in 1991!!! Ever since, I have been trying to make contact with Lindsay's descendants to see who holds the 'originals' and whether modern technology means they could scan me better quality images. Are you in touch with your second cousins Shirley Ailsa Ross or Bruce Lindsay Ross (the children of Lindsay) - are they even still alive?
Best wishes,
Amina
P.s. I heard the story of brother & sister marrying brother & sister frequently in that branch of the Rosd family: as well as your grandfather Donald marrying Emeratta Borden (whose brother Walter married Donald's older sister Margaret), Jeannie's mother Ethel married the brother of her sister in law (Alice Buckingham, who married Alec Learmonth). I am in close contact with the Learmonths...I just met Janet last month in London (she's Lyn Learmonths daughter...Lyn being one of Alec's 4 boys...all 3rd cousins of my mother .... But a 2nd cousin to you!)
SMALL WORLD....GETTING SMALLER!