Author Topic: Church Names Please.  (Read 11969 times)

Offline manonros

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church Names Please.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Retpara
The church of Llangelynin is nearly halfway between Rhoslefain and Llwyngwril, and I think it makes sense that this is the one you're after. Services are held there monthly. If you ever get a chance, it's worth visiting- It's so special.
D'you want me to upload a photo of the place? I go there quite often for a bit of peace.  ;)
Pryce, Meirioneth
Edwards, Meirioneth
Owen, Meirioneth

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a booklet on the old church at Llangelynin but can't find it. I believe that all services took place at the new church when it opened, except for some burials which, I think, carried on into the 20th century.

What was the name of your family?
On the 1861-1871 censuses, only the Thomas family is at Rhoslefain. In 1881, they are at Rhoslefain Farm and another Thomas family at the smithy. The parish is Llangelynin, so baptisms and marriages may have taken place there, although Llanegryn is nearer.

The 1881 census gives all birth places as Llangelynin but Llanegryn, Towyn or Llangelynin in 1861-71.

David

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Once again many thanks to all for your inputs, I will try and answer all questions firstly thank you Manonros that would be very much appreciated as I believe there was a pew inside with the old family name of Angel on it.
The other names all together was my Gt Gt Grandparents were Angel these were married at St Mary's church in Llanegryn and then my Gt Grandfather by the name of Lewis married into the Angel family belived to be married at St Celyin's church, Llanegryn. They all lived together at Tycroes farm, Rhoslefain, near to Castell Fawr.
Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Retpara.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I have found the booklet about Llangelynin church. This is a quote, which also mentions a church at Rhoslefain: -

"... Another new church, this time at Llwyngwril, was built in 1842. Yet another church , much smaller, appeared at at Rhoslefain in the late nineteenth century, and Fairbourne acquired a substantial stone church of its own in 1927.
  The church at Llwyngwril effectively replaced the old church on the cliff which was already, by 1842, inconveniently removed from the centre of population. Thereafter, the old church was used only for occasional burials. It was virtually abandoned for some seventy years and became severely decayed. It was preserved by careful restoration in 1917 and further work in 1972 ..."

There is an annual service held there, in August, and was licenced again for marriages in 1972.

Each pew carries the name of a land owner and his properties. Ty-croes is the only one which seems not to carry the owner's name. Castell Fawr was owned by Griffith Jones.

The attached extract from a photograph shows the Ty-croes pew.

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi dcbnwh,

Many thanks for the information and photograph it all helps. By the dates you have given it seems this church would have been closed when my Gt Grandparents were married in 1872, so it seems they would have probably been married in the one in Llwyngwril, but now a spanner has been thrown in the works with a church in Rhoslefain (lol), which would have been really close to Ty-Croes Farm.
So back into research mode also have just checked on my Gt Gt Grandfather Hugh Angel 1841 census and it appears he was working for a Hugh Jones at Castell Fawr Farm, who was Griffith Jones father showing him to be 6 yrs old at the time.

Once again many thanks for the info,

Retpara.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 16:30 GMT (UK) »
John Lewis married Elizabeth Angel in St Celynnin Llangelynin in 1872 ( see http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/bmd_welcome.html)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 January 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks Dolgellau for your input, this proves we were right all along, which will help us to put some finishing touches to my family tree so I can arrange a visit to North Wales knowing where to go.

Many thanks,

Retpara.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I should have looked this up before.

The chapel at Rhoslefain was built c1890

http://www.churchinwales.org.uk/bangor/diocese/parish_details/ystumaner/stmairrhoslefain.html

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 January 11 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Something else that I should have looked at.

On Ancestry.co.uk, there is a tree which gives the precise details

Marriage of John Lewis to Elizabeth Angel
15th June 1872
St Celynin's Church, Llwyngwril, Merionethshire

Hugh Angel married Gwen Pugh
28th march 1843
St Mary's Church, Llanegryn, Merionethshire

The tree then gives the descendants of Gwen Ellen Lewis, born 22nd September 1886 in Blaenau Ffestiniog, but none of the other children.

David