Author Topic: Burnmouth of Gollachy  (Read 19441 times)

Offline faskally

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burnmouth of Gollachy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 September 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also linked to George Munro of Burnmouth, Gollachy through his daughter Elsie Ann Munro. Please can I also get a copy of the photos!

Thanks for all the research to work out which was the correct building.

Fiona

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 September 11 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

I've pm'd you and will send some pics. I have more info on Elsie Munro also. and pic of the cottage approx  1930 when Willie the son of George lived there.
Cheers
Jim
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline Kewakefield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Jim,
I am also interested in Burnmouth of Gollachy. My grandfather, John Munro, is one of the twelve children born to George Munro and Ann Lawrence. John Munro immigrated to Canada around 1907 and then later to the United States.

Fiona has sent me a photo of the cottage taken in 1930 as well as two more recent photos. I'm assuming they are all of the cottage where my grandfather was raised and lived until he left Scotland. Do you know when the later photos were taken? Any information you may have on the George Munro family I would love to hear about. I've got a skelton family tree a couple of generations after George Munro.  I hope to learn more about the Munros of Rathven and Fordyce.

Thanks,

Karen Wakefield

P.S. Think I'll try to find to find the cottage on Google Earth.

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen
John Munro was born in 1876 at Rathven, Banffshire and was a farm servant at age 14 then a builder and stone mason by  the 1901 Census. In 1881 his father was a salmon fisher at the mouth of the small River/burn at  Gollachy and also farmed 6 acres for a living.
The old photo was taken in the 1930's when son Willie born 1865 had inherited the house and was farming the smallholding. The later photos are taken in 2011 to the best of my knowledge by a helpful local living contributor on this site who went out specially to take the pics.
I can get back a couple of generations from George Munro but info beyond that is dubious. Send me a private pm and I will send you a tree backwards from him.
Interesting what happened to John. It seems a lot of Scots from this part emigrated and made good in  North America. I would like to know where and when he died and what he was employed as in the USA.

Cheers

Jim
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 January 13 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Jim (extattiehowker)

I've just been reading through this string of messages - and have recently been in touch with Karen Wakefield re some connections between the Munro family and my Brown ancestors from Fordyce.   (My gr grandmothers sister, Elizabeth Brown, married John Munro, in 1901. He was the son of John Munro and Georgina Ledingham, and grandson of David Munro and Elspet Gibb - all buried in Fordyce).  I was very interested to read in one of your earlier replies about you having a picture of a relatives croft at Braehead, Portessie - and seeing you have Davidson and Wood families that you are interested in, I'm guessing we may be researching the same family. 

My 3gr grandparents are Robert Davidson and Jane Burnett.  They lived at Braeheads, Portessie, up to their deaths in the 1850's.  Their only daughter Jane Davidson (1826-1904) married James Wood (1821-1898) in 1852.  He was originally from Sandend, but James and Jane lived on at Braeheads until the 1880's/1890's.  Are these the Davidsons and Woods that you refer to in your families of interest?  Would be very interested to hear if they are and also to hear what you know of Braeheads, Portessie.  Anecdotal family reference passed down to me was that Braeheads, Portessie, was somewhere at the top of the Brae of Peterhythe, close to where Riach the Bakers used to have a bakers about 20-30 years ago. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Regards

Alan Davidson

Offline Kewakefield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 January 13 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Jim,

I'm not sure how to send you a personal message. My grandfather John Munro went to work in Winnipeg, Canada and I understand may have worked on some government building there as a stone mason. He then went to Lincoln, Nebraska and worked on the State House. From there he and his family went to Washington, DC. He worked on numerous federal government buildings including the U.S. Supreme Court Building, and the National Gallery of Art. John died in 1944 and is buried in a cemetery just outside of Washington, DC line in Suitland, Maryland with his wife Annie.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize my granddad was a farm servant prior to becoming a mason. His son, Leslie Munro, is still alive. He turned 100 this year and said my granddad only had a sixth grade education ... so I guess he started working at an early age.

You can email me at *

Karen

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 January 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
That's remarkable!!! You are researching the same bunch. Would you like a photo of James Wood and Jane Davidson which was taken at William Clark's studio in Buckie? I shall be in contact as soon as I get all the xmas lights down outside!!! Sunny today and no rain which is just amazing!!!!
Cheers happy new year!

Jim

Offline AlanZed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 January 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Jim

Thanks for the reply, and Happy New Year to you to.  I would be delighted to have a photo of James Wood and Jane Davidson.  Its very interesting that it is taken by William Clark the photographer.  I assume you know, but William Clarke's wife (Christian Newlands Logie) is part of our family too.  Christian Newlands Logie (1880-1958) was the daughter of Alexander Logie (1852-1918) and Elizabeth Davidson (1853-1918).  William and Chrisitian Clark emigrated to California about 1926.

This Elizabeth Davidson (Mrs Logie) was the daughter of George Davidson (1820-1894) and his first wife, Elizabeth Gray (1825-1857). She was also the half-sister of my great-grandfather George Davidson (1860-1945).   George (1820-1894) was the brother of Jane Davidson who married James Wood. (1826-1904).

I'll reply to your PM with more details. 

Alan Davidson

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 January 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
Thanks for the info on William Clarke and his studio......very interesting. I have a number of old pics taken in his studios as yet unidentified. Maybe some related to your tree.
I seem to be related to Robert Davidson b1781 and Jane b1786 so we are indeed on the same research trail.Daughter Jane is a bit of a problem. There are 3 Jane Davidson's that I have found in the area and I am not sure which one married James Wood on 18 Dec 1852 in Rathven though I have marr cert.
We need to delve further there.
I have pic of James Wood and Jane taken probably late 1890s both looking in their 70's. Have sent you my e-mail in PM. If you send me yours I'll send pic and my details of the problem of the 3 Janes.
By the way do you know the location of the Denhead farm/smallholding in relation to the croft at Braeheads? Are they nearly next to each other?
cheers
Jim