Author Topic: HEADSTONE INSCRIPTIONS East Wemyss & West Wemyss Cemeteries  (Read 141789 times)

Offline abomarc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEADSTONE INSCRIPTIONS East Wemyss & West Wemyss Cemeteries
« Reply #261 on: Monday 22 July 13 18:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Norrie. Very much appreciated. Do you mind if I share the photo on other sites?

Marc

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Monday 22 July 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Marc no problem with sharing photo
Norrie
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie

My cousin in Brisbane was asking if there was a headstone image available from East Wemyss Cemetery for Elizabeth Blyth Kennedy m.s. Rollo who died 15 Jan 1939. She was the wife of the Reverend John Kennedy who died 13 Mar 1963.

Can you help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
My cousin in Brisbane was asking if there was a headstone image available from East Wemyss Cemetery for Elizabeth Blyth Kennedy m.s. Rollo who died 15 Jan 1939. She was the wife of the Reverend John Kennedy who died 13 Mar 1963

Hi  Chiad  this is the inscription from East Wemyss Cemetery, included Photograph
Norrie

1279.   ILMO Elizabeth Blyth Rollo 29.12.1872 – 15.1.1939 beloved wife of the Rev. John Kennedy, B.D. Minister of Wemyss, St. Mary’s by the Sea. Also the above Rev. John Kennedy, B.D. 13.12.1867 – 13.3.1963

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks once again Norrie

Cousin John will be chuffed with this!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rintoul Young

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Thursday 22 August 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie

wow...you are a star. Thanks so much.

The Alexander Young (1834-1908) who erected the first stone died in 1908. I did not mention him because he drowned on The Hynde, south side at East Wemyss and I was not sure if he would be buried there. He was originally a farm worker from Scoonie, but later worked in the coal mines. His wife Betsy Rintoul was from Wemyss and the daughter of linen weavers. Alexander and his wife Betsy had 10 children, but Betsy and 3 daughters tragically all died from TB in a very short space of time.

His eldest son Alex Young (1858-1951) was my great grandfather and was a miner in the Great Michael pit. His wife Jean/Jane Adamson (1857-1939) and he had 6 children. I never knew that the eldest son Alex (1883-1941) was the organist at the church, he was originally a miner but a gifted pianist and later in life a music teacher in Edinburgh.

The James Adamson was the husband of Alex and Jane's daughter Mary.

I am a little surprised there is no stone for Alex and Jane's three children. John Young (b1891) aged 5 died in 1896 of diphtheria, William Young (b1886) died in 1917, he was a miner and then because of TB was the projectionist at the local Picture Palace at the time of his death and Jane Young (b1898) died in 1919

If its not asking too much could you check a couple of others ?

Betsy Rintoul's parents. James Rintoul (1805 - 1886) a linen weaver died in East Wemyss, as did his wife, Janet Rintoul ms McBain (1806-1884)

James Rintoul's parents were a Walter Rintoul, a linen hand loom weaver, and a Margaret ms Williamson although I do not have any date for their deaths which would be before 1855 or whether they died in East Wemyss.

Janet McBain's parents were an Alexander Bain, a stone mason and Elizabeth ms Simson from Dysart but their daughter Janet married in East Wemyss and so it's possible they may have died there.

Whether you find any more or not, I just wanted to say a real thank you for the images and what you found.

Kind Regards

Morris

Hello My grandfather was Walter Rintoul Young, born December 22 1908 in Hope Bank east weymss to a Walter Rintoul Young and a Lydia Young nee M.S Williams. He had 13 brothers and sisters one of the girls names was Jessie.

Offline graeme121

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Thursday 22 August 13 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie I'm looking for a William Wallace born abt. 1804 and died around 1875 in Wemyss. It's a bit of a long shot but wondered if he may be in this cemetery.Thanks.

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Saturday 24 August 13 08:50 BST (UK) »
looking for a William Wallace born abt. 1804 and died around 1875 in Wemyss

Hi Graeme  sorry can,t find your William, but are plenty of Wallaces in East Wemyss
and in my index all over Fife. Who did William Marry? did they have children? your William
could be attached to one of them but I really need 2 names to check index

eg  William Wallace  Isabella  Davies

Norrie

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Saturday 24 August 13 08:57 BST (UK) »

Hello My grandfather was Walter Rintoul Young, born December 22 1908 in Hope Bank east weymss to a Walter Rintoul Young and a Lydia Young nee M.S Williams. He had 13 brothers and sisters one of the girls names was Jessie.

Hi Rintoul  If you could supply with the brothers & sisters names and who  they married
I could check for headstones

Norrie